Posted by Kaitlyn on Monday, November 19, 2012 at 7:28pm.
If argon has a volume of 5.0 dm3 and the pressure is .92 atm and the final temperature is 30 degrees celcius and the final volume is 5.7 L and the final pressure is 800 mm Hg, what was the initial temperature of the argon?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 7:34pm
(P1V1/T1) = (P2V2/T2)
Remember T must be in kelvin.
- Chemistry - Matt, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 7:42pm
5.0 dm^3= 5 Liters
P1= .92 atm
V1= 5.0 L
P2= (800 mmHg/760 mmHg)= 1.05 atm (There are 760 mmHg in 1 atmosphere)
V2= 5.7 L
T2= 30 degrees Celsius
((.92 atm)*(5.0 L))/(T1)=((1.05 atm)*(5.7 L))/(30 Degrees)
T1= 20.8 Degrees Celsius
- Chemistry - Matt, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 7:44pm
@DrBob222- Temperature does not need to be in Kelvin because it is a ratio, converting to Celsius would give her the same answer.
- To Matt--Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 10:13pm
I beg your pardon. My calculations show two things.
a. your math is not right.
b. your chemistry is way not right.
The ratio of T is NOT the same and T is not the same.
(0.92*5/T1) = (1.05*5.7/30)
T1 = (0.92*5*30)/(1.05*5.7)] = 23.06 which I would round to 23.1. I assume degrees C. But this is incorrect.
The correct method.
4.6/T1 = (5.7*1.05/303) = 0.01975
T1 = 0.01975/4.6 = 232.88 K which is 232.88-273.15 = -40.26 C.
Temperature MUST be in kelvin.
- Chemistry - zach, Tuesday, February 4, 2014 at 9:12pm
how do i find out what the normal boiling point of a liquid could be if the vapor pressure of the liquid is .92 atm at 60 degrees celsius?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A 3.5 liter gas sample at 20 degrees celcius and a pressure of 650 ...
- Chemistry - Please let me know how I am doing with the following three chemistry...
- Chemistry - A sample of argon gas has a volume of 735 mL at a pressure of 1.20 ...
- Maths - One tenth kilogram of Argon is contained in a piston-cylinder assembly. ...
- Physics - An ideal gas is contained within closed box behind a removable wall. ...
- Chem - Can someone check these homework answers please? 32. The barometric ...
- PHYSICS - One mole of oxygen gas is at a pressure of 5.25 atm and a temperature ...
- Chemistry - A gas has a pressure of 4.62 atm when its volume is 2.33 L. If the ...
- Chemistry - To what temperature in K must a variable volume container of helium ...
- physics- vry urgent - An ideal monatomic gas initially has a temperature of 333 ...