Posted by Vanessa on Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 1:11pm.
So the question is basically asking which mountains peaks can be seen from Oahu.
Island Distance(Mi) Mountain Height(ft)
Lanai - 65 - Lanaihale - 3,370
Maui - 110 - Haleakala - 10,023
Hawaii - 190 - Mauna Kea - 13,796
Molokai - 40 - Kamakou - 4,961
A) Radius of earth= 3960 mi.
Determine angle formed at the center of the earth.
B) Determine length of the hypotenuse.
Is Lanai-hale visible from Oahu?
C) Repeat parts A & B for the other 3 islands
D) Which 3 Mountains are visible from Oahu?
Can someone please draw a diagram and explain to me where the angle formed at the center of the earth and hypotenuse please? I'm really despearate to understand this problem! It's due on Monday! please help! xoxoxo <3
Math Grade 12 - Steve, Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 2:31pm
If you draw a line from a point above the surface, to the horizon, the angle where the radius meets the point on the horizon is a right angle, because the line is tangent to the surface of the earth.
So, if you have a point x km above the surface, and the radius of the earth is r km, and the distance from the point to the horizon is d km,
r^2 + d^2 = (r+x)^2
If you need to work with the angle θ at the center of the earth,
sinθ = d/(r+x)
tanθ = d/r
Math Grade 11 - manoj, Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 11:56am
if the first three terms in the expansion of (1+ax)^n in ascending powers
of x are 1+12x+64x^2 find n and a
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - So the question is basically asking which mountains peaks can be seen ...
- Math - which mountains peaks can be seen from Oahu. Island Distance(Mi) Mountain...
- Geo - On the map of the Mauna Loa volcano in Hawaii (distributed in class), ...
- geography - what volcano dominates the sothern portion of the island of Hawaii? ...
- 7th grade Hawaii - What can the public do to help get more land zoned for ...
- Science - Peaks are not as sharp on the Appalachian Mountains as they are on the...
- college stats - iN manoa Valley on the island of Oahu Hawaii the annual rainfall...
- physics - Q. A person wants to shoot a rocket off of a mountain 3.26 km high so ...
- Science - the black hills are an example of which type of mountain building? a. ...
- Geometry - Please imagine a triangle here. >.< the 'o' is a person and the...