Posted by Andrea on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 2:25pm.
1. Believing that truth is what works for actual real people, Harvard psychologist William James developed
the philosophy of
B. social progressivism.
C. radical progressivism.
D. social idealism.
2. Which of the following was true of Secretary of State William Henry Seward?
A. He was successful in negotiating a trade deal with the Kingdom of Hawaii.
B. He opposed American imperial expansion.
(C. He negotiated the purchase of Alaska from Canada.)
D. He annexed the Midway Islands.
3. Which of the following is true of the Spanish-American War?
(A. Black soldiers referred to black Cubans as "Smoked Spaniards.")
B. About one in ten American soldiers were black.
C. Racial tensions were suspended for the duration of the war.
D. The black soldiers who fought had gained experience and distinction during the Indian Wars.
4. The last of Wilson's Fourteen Points called for
A. heavy reparations to be assessed against Germany.
(B. the creation of a League of Nations.)
C. Belgian neutrality.
D. the establishment of an independent Poland.
5. Which of the following is true of the Hay-Bunau-Varilla Treaty?
A. It was intended to restore friendly relations between the United States and Colombia.
(B. It granted the United States a canal zone in the Isthmus of Panama.)
C. It laid out the terms for the purchase of Panama from Colombia.
D. It declared Panamanian independence.
6. As its intellectual voice, ______ became the leader of the Harlem Renaissance.
(A. James Weldon Johnson)
B. H. L. Mencken
C. Claude McKay
D. W. E. B. Du Bois
7. The ___________ expressed the darkest and most ominous aspect of the rural counterattack of the early
A. Prohibition movement
(B. Ku Klux Klan)
C. Red Scare
D. Palmer raids
8. The presidential election of 1928 pitted Al Smith of New York against
A. Bob La Follette.
(B. Herbert Hoover.)
C. Theodore Roosevelt.
D. John W. Davis.
9. As passed by the Congress after McKinley delivered his war message to Congress, the declaration of
war against Spain was modified by the Teller Amendment, which stipulated that
A. the United States reserved the right to annex Cuba.
(B. the United States wouldn't annex Cuba.)
C. Spain must abandon all claims to territories in the Western Hemisphere.
D. trade with Spain would continue as usual.
10. _______ pioneered the field of corporate public relations.
(A. Ivy. L. Lee)
B. Samuel Gompers
C. Margaret Robins
D. Henry Ford
11. During the Great War, the Food Administration was headed by
(A. Herbert Hoover.)
B. Samuel Gompers.
C. Felix Frankfurter.
D. Bernard Baruch.
12. Which of the following is true of the Industrial Workers of the World (I.W.W.)?
A. It was devoted to organizing highly skilled immigrant workers.
B. It had very little influence over the labor movement.
(C. It made business leaders create new methods to deal with labor issues.)
D. It was founded in Russia.
13. In the election of 1912, Teddy Roosevelt's Bull Moose Party platform was built around what he called
A. New Freedom.
B. Square Deal.
C. Fair Deal.
(D. New Nationalism.)
14. Which of the following groups benefitted the least from the prosperity of the second industrial
B. Railroad workers
C. Factory workers
D. Textile workers
15. During the election of 1936, declaring their party a "millionaire's union," Franklin Roosevelt focused
mainly on defeating the
A. Liberty League running Father Coughlin.
B. Union Party running Gerald K. Smith.
(C. Liberty League running Alfred M. Landon.)
D. Union Party running William Lemke.
16. The _______ demanded that Latin American countries keep their financial affairs on order or risk
intervention by the United States.
A. Knox Policy
B. Monroe Doctrine
(C. Roosevelt Corollary)
D. Good Neighbor Policy
17. With the vital assistance of _______, Theodore Roosevelt established the first comprehensive national
A. Upton Sinclair
(B. Gifford Pinchot)
C. Samuel Hopkins Adams
D. William Howard Taft
18. The Niagara Movement, headed by _______, sought equal rights for blacks.
(A. W. E. B. Du Bois)
B. William E. Walling
C. William Lloyd Garrison
D. Booker T. Washington
19. Theodore Roosevelt's first major trust-busting victory resulted from a suit brought against
A. Standard Oil.
B. the American Tobacco Company.
C. the DuPont Corporation.
(D. the Northern Securities Company.)
20. Before 1910, the most popular form of public entertainment was
(A. band concerts.)
B. ballroom dancing.
D. viewing motion pictures.
Can someone help me check please?
- American History - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 4:15pm
I agree with all of your answers.
However, question 2 has a major error. The U.S. bought Alaska (Seward's Folly) from Russia, not Canada!
Number 15 is misleading. Alf Landon ran on the Republican ticket.
I'm not sure of 3 and 16.
- American History - Cheyenne Rushing, Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 2:12pm
6 Is not James Weldon.As for 3 is also incorrect. I am not for sure on the correct answers I just know these are incorrect due to I got them wrong on my test. Just thought i'd help out.
- American History - citisen, Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 2:46pm
it apears that al tha qetions are a b a b a b and so on i thinck yir test has sum sort ovan error
- American History - sfdg, Friday, July 11, 2014 at 4:58pm
- American History - merica, Friday, July 11, 2014 at 5:00pm
i think they're all gggrrrrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- American History - Anonymous, Friday, December 19, 2014 at 8:27pm
6 is W.E.B Du Bois
Answer this Question
Social Studies - Believing that truth is what works for actual real people, ...
History - 1. In 1916, Woodrow Wilson ordered General John J. Pershing to lead U....
education - what is the difference between reconstructionism, pragmatism, ...
history - Compare and contrast Populism and Progressivism. From what distinct ...
History - To what extent was the Progressive era (1870 - 1920) a unified ...
Philosophy - How are pragmatism and analytic philosophy uniquely American ...
American Education - What are the characteristics of Progressivism,...
U.S History Honors - Identify the causes of Progressivism and compare it to ...
Philosophy - HOW ARE PRAGMATISM AND ANALYTIC PHILOSOPHY UNIQUELY AMERICAN ...
history - how did progressivism affect the role of theral government in the ...