Posted by lee on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 11:44am.
Can someone please explain
What polynomial has a graph that passes through the given points?
(–4, 89), (–3, 7), (–1, –1), (1, –1), (4, 329)
y = 2x3 – 3x2 – 2x + 1
y = 1x4 – 2x3 – 3x2 + 2x + 1
y = x4 – 2x3 + 3x2 + 2x – 1
y = x4 + 2x3 – 3x2 – 2x + 1
algebra - Steve, Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 11:57am
what, you can't plug in the values and evaluate?
329 is greater than 4^3, so y is obviously a 4th-degree polynomial.
4^4 = 256, so I'd try the last one:
256 + 2*64 - 3*16 - 2*4 + 1 = 329, so check the other values. Looks like the one.
algebra - lee, Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 12:58pm
so you think
I don't understand these problems
algebra - Steve, Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 1:51pm
It's not too complicated. They gave you a list of x and y values. All you have to do is plug in the x values and see whether one of the functions produces the correct y values.
The point of these exercises is just to see whether you can evaluate expressions using various values.
Looks like you need to spend some time graphing functions and evaluating expressions.
You can play around with such things at
Toward the bottom there's an area where you can type in a function and give it values. That's what I did once I had seen that x^4+2x^3-3x^2-2x+1 produced 329 for x=4.
The only way to get comfortable with this stuff is to play around with it for a few hours.
algebra - kay], Friday, October 21, 2016 at 5:21am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - which polynomial has a graph that passes through the given points? (-3...
- algebra - Essay; show all work. Bob’s Barber Shop estimates their gross revenue...
- calculus - 1. Which of the following expressions is the definition of the ...
- ALgebra - What would be the gcf for these polynomials equations? (1) 2x3 - 8x2...
- Algebra - What would be the gcf for these polynomials equations? (1) 2x3 - 8x2...
- algebra - x2+2x-35/2x3-3x2*4x3-9x/7x-49
- Algebra-please check my work - check my answers please. Use the Intermediate ...
- ALGEBRA PLSSSSSS - What polynomial has a graph that passes through the given ...
- algebra - Evaluate and tabulate the values of y for the value(s) given. y = 2x3...
- College Alg - Graph the polynomial in the given viewing rectangle. Find the ...