Posted by Anon on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 11:25am.
Which of the following is a complex sentence?
A.After the class, we all went to Alec's house.
B.Alec's brother John was home, but his sister Cynthia wasn't.
C. Alec suggested we all go to the neighborhood pool.
I'm thinking the answer is A, but I'm not too sure. Thanks for the help.
Grammar - Writeacher, Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 11:28am
A is a simple sentence: 1 prepositional phrase + 1 independent clause
B is a compound sentence: 2 independent clauses joined correctly
C ... Do you see why? There's an "understood" word (a word not printed) that introduces the dependent clause. Do you know what it is?
Grammar - Anon, Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 11:37am
Grammar - Writeacher, Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 11:43am
The independent clause in C is "Alec suggested" and the dependent clause is "(that) we all go..."
Grammar - Anon, Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 11:58am
Grammar - Writeacher, Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 11:59am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Mckenzie's age is 3 years less than 4 times Alec's age. Lily is 1 year ...
- language arts Ms. Sue please - 5. Which of the following sentences is punctuated...
- math - Alec bought 3 trays of eggs each containing 30 eggs. She paid sh270 for ...
- Identity crises? - These "students" need to pick one name each and stay with it...
- intro to ethics - philosophy - REWRITE: 1) Correct the problems with this title...
- english - 6. In which sentence are the italicized words a dangling modifier? (A ...
- Language Arts - 15. Read the following lines from the story “Forbidden Fruit.” ...
- Math - Alec, Kate and Ketan are roommates who share living expenses in a ratio ...
- Mathematics - Alec measures the length of a line accurately. His answer, correct...
- Grammar and Composition [Ms.Sue] - 2. After the blizzard, many travelers were ...