Posted by Leeah on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 2:47pm.
Can someone help me go over my answers
1. If you were a reform-minded person who, above all, loathed the social problems associated with alcohol, you would have been especially sympathetic to the
C. Comstock Law.
D. evangelical efforts of Dwight L. Moody.
2. The Wilmot Proviso was a proposed amendment to a military appropriations bill that would
A. permit the slavery issue to be determined by popular sovereignty.
B. regulate competition between free and slave states.
(C. ban slavery in territories acquired from Mexico.)
D. establish slavery in the territories acquired from Mexico.
3. In 1876, the first separate graduate school was established
A. by the Morrill Land Grant Act.
B. at Harvard by Charles W. Eliot.
(C. at Johns Hopkins University.)
D. at Radcliffe.
4. Which of the following noted American authors wrote works that supported slavery?
(A. Edgar Allan Poe)
B. Ralph Waldo Emerson
C. Henry David Thoreau
D. Harriet Beecher Stowe
5. General Grant's army came closest to defeat in the West as a result of a surprise Confederate attack at the Battle of
( B. Shiloh.)
D. Fort Henry.
6. At the outset of the secessionist movement in the South, which state defeated the cooperationist argument that the South should act as a unit?
(D. South Carolina)
7. In the first major pioneering movement, settlers made their way to Oregon and California by way of the _______ Trail.
( B. Oregon)
8. Which of the following was true of the Know-Nothing party?
A. It wanted to undermine immigrant voting strength.
B. It focused on containing the expansion of slavery.
(C. It gained the widespread support of new immigrants.)
D. It rejected nativism.
9. Which of the following statements is true regarding the construction of the transcontinental railway?
(A. Construction began in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1863 and in Sacramento, California, in 1865.)
B. Most workers for the Union Pacific Railroad were Chinese.
C. Most workers on the Central Pacific leg of the railway were Chinese.
D. The Sierra Nevadas were the most difficult obstacle for the Union Pacific Railroad.
10. The richest discovery in the history of mining occurred in 1873. This so-called "Big Bonanza" made _______ the richest man in the world.
A. Henry Sutter
B. John Placer
C. Henry Comstock
(D. John Mackay)
11. After Lincoln "fired" George McClellan, his successor, General _______ proved himself an equally inept commander at the Battle of Fredericksburg.
(C. Burnside )
12. During the bitter struggle over reconstruction policy, Congress overrode Johnson's veto of the
A. bill intended to nullify the South's black codes.
B. bill extending the life of the Freedman's Bureau
(C. Civil Rights Act.)
D. Radical Reconstruction Act.
13. Which of the following is associated with the development of chain stores?
A. John Wanamaker
B. Marshall Field
(C. F. W. Woolworth)
D. R. H. Macy
14. Which of the following statements about President Andrew Johnson is true?
A. He defended the planter aristocracy.
B. He was well educated, but he was a poor stump speaker.
C. He was impeached and forced from office.
(D. He was raised under conditions of extreme poverty.)
15. In the new cities of the 1800s, streetcars were to the suburbs and residential neighborhoods as glass and steel were to
A. palatial mansions of the rich. B. factories.
(D. railroad stations)
16. Which of the following nineteenth-century inventors is associated with Menlo Park in New Jersey?
A. Alexander Graham Bell
B. Cyrus W. Field
C. Gustavus F. Swift
(D. Thomas Alva Edison)
17. Which of the following statements about John D. Rockefeller is most accurate?
A. He founded the Standard Oil Company when he was 24 years old.
(B. He considered competition to be the central ideal of capitalism.)
C. He drilled the first oil well near Titusville, Pennsylvania.
D. He invented the concept of vertical integration.
18. Which country lawyer from Ashtabula, Ohio, argued that criminals are not born, but are made by the unjust condition of human life?
(A. Clarence Darrow)
B. Washington Gladden
C. Herbert Spencer
D. William Graham Sumner
19. A series of legislative acts passed under the Grant administration in 1870 and 1871 authorized federal protection for black suffrage through the use of the Army against the Ku Klux Klan. Together, these were known as the _______ Acts.
20. Which of the following statements about the provisions of the Compromise of 1850 is true? A. The principle of popular sovereignty was abandoned.
(B. Fugitive slaves were denied any and all constitutional rights.)
C. The slave trade was abolished in the District of Columbia.
D. The New Mexico Territory was absorbed into Texas
- American history - anti cheating, Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 12:06pm
do you own homework its not that difficult to read your text book... seriously
- American history - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 11, 2014 at 10:12am
Which of the following noted American authors wrote works that supported slavery?
- American history - Anonymous, Sunday, July 13, 2014 at 8:09am
16. Founded by Oliver H. Kelley, the organization that came to be known as the _______ provided educational, social, and cultural activities to its rural members.
- American history - Anonymous, Thursday, August 28, 2014 at 9:31am
Which of the following nineteenth-century inventors is associated with Menlo Park in New Jersey?
- American history - Breanna, Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 10:58am
number 7 is b the cumberland trail.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- social studies - If you were a reform-minded person who, above all, loathed the ...
- history - If you were a reform-minded person who, above all, loathed the social ...
- Histroy - If you were a reform-minded person who,above all,loathed the social ...
- amercian history - If you were a reform-minded person who, above all, loathed ...
- Social Studies - If you were a reform-minded person who, above all, loathed the ...
- history - Every era in American history has had notable men and women who shaped...
- history - instead of Native American nations, the American West had been claimed...
- AP World History - Well we are doing a project on empire building and we had to ...
- history - Hi. Can someone please help me find alot info for this question. In ...
- English game - Find a Person Who Game (1) Directions : Hello, class. Today we ...