Posted by Ken on Monday, November 12, 2012 at 1:11am.
*Optimization problem* [I don't know how to get to the answer] Problem: You have a cylindrical can with radius 4cm and height 10cm. Inside is a marble with a radius that has to be larger than 0 but less than 4 cm (even the largest marble will fit entirely). You're filling it with water and you stop when the height of water reaches the top of the marble. find the radius of the marble requiring the most water to cover it. Hint: Volume of water in a cylinder with radius R and height of water H is given by V=PiR^2^H and volume of a sphere with radius r is given by V=4/3Pi(r^3^). Consider: if the water is just covering the marble of radius r, what is the height of the water in the can?
Calculus I - Steve, Monday, November 12, 2012 at 4:02am
the volume of water when the marble is just covered is
v = pi * 4^2 * 2r - 4/3 pi r^3
= 32pi r - 4/3 pi r^3
dv/dr = 32pi - 4pi r^2
dv/dr = 0 when r = √8
since d2v/dr2 < 0, this is a max.
Calculus I - Ken, Monday, November 12, 2012 at 8:46am
Thank you! Question: how did you reach d2v/dr2? (did you take a second derivative?)
Calculus I - Steve, Monday, November 12, 2012 at 9:50am
that's what it is. It is used to determine whether an extremum is a max or min.
Calculus I - Ian, Monday, November 12, 2012 at 11:18am
How did you get 2r for the height in the volume of water?
Calculus I - Steve, Monday, November 12, 2012 at 12:38pm
come on, guy! the diameter of the ball is the depth of the water!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus: Optimization - I have no idea how to approach this problem, if someone...
- Algebra!! - 1.a swimming pool has a radius of 10 feet and a height of 4 feet. ...
- math - Problem 1:A semi-circular garden has a radius of 10 meters. What is its ...
- calculus (optimization prob help!) - Imagine a flat-bottomed cylinderal ...
- Maths - If a marble of radius 2.1 cm is put into a cylindrical cup of radius 6cm...
- Calculus - Given a right circular cone, you put an upside-down cone inside it so...
- Math - Calculus I - Optimization Problem: Find the dimensions of the right ...
- math - A company manufactures two different cylindrical containers for storage ...
- math - you have a full cylindrical glass of water that stands8inches tall and ...
- Calculus - *Optimization problem* I'm okay at some optimization problems, but ...