Posted by Kevin on Saturday, November 10, 2012 at 3:39pm.
An apple orchard charges a fixed amount for the first four bushels of apples purchased and an extra amount for each additional bushel purchased. If the cost of 11 bushels of apples is $33 and the cost of 19 bushels is $55, what is the fixed charge for the first four bushels of apples?
- Algebra - Jennifer, Saturday, November 10, 2012 at 6:56pm
fc + (11-4)*b = fc + 7*b = 33
fc + (19-4)*b = fc + 15*b = 55
where fc is the fixed charge of the first 4 bushels, and b is the price per bushel of each additional bushel over 4
Use algebra to solve these two equations for b and fc:
fc + 7*b = 33
fc + 15*b = 55
- Algebra - Reiny, Saturday, November 10, 2012 at 7:05pm
cost = m(n-4) + b , where n is the number of bushels, b is the extra charge for the first 4 bushels and m is the cost per bushel
so for 11 bushels, cost is 33
33 = 7m + b
so for 19 bushels, cost = 55
55 = 15m + b
22 = 8m
m = 22/8 = 2.75
sub into 33 = 7m+b
33 = 19.25 + b
b = 13.75
the fixed cost is $13.75
our equation would be
cost = 2.75(n-4) + 13.75
if n = 11, cost = 2.75(7) + 13.75 = 33
if n=19, cost = 2.75(15) + 13.75 = 55 , YEAH
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - The Farmers Market sells apples by the bushel, and each bushel of apples ...
- business calculas - An apple orchard has an average yield of 38 bushels of ...
- math - If there are 20 to 25 apples in a basket and there are 3 to 4 baskets in ...
- math - If there are 10 to 15 apples in a basket and there are 2 to 3 baskets in ...
- economics - Suppose that there are two states that do not trade: Iowa and ...
- MATH 112 helpl please - Bill brought four times as may apples as harry and three...
- math - There are 50 apple trees in an orchard, and each tree produces an average...
- math - An apple orchard has an average yield of 36 bushels of apples per tree if...
- Calculus - There are 50 apple trees in an orchard, and each tree produces an ...
- Math - Mark bought four times as many apples as Harry and three times as many ...