Posted by Sam on Friday, November 9, 2012 at 12:19am.
HELP!!! Super confused. Here's the problem.
Today while Don was swimming, he started wondering how many lengths he would have to swim in order to swim different distances. At one end of the pool, he stopped, gasping for breath, and
asked the lifeguard. She told him that 1 length of the pool is 25 yards and that 72 lengths is 1 mile. As he continued swimming, he wondered:
a. Is 72 lengths really a mile? Exactly how many lengths would it take to swim a mile?
b. If it took him a total of 40 minutes to swim a mile, what was his average speed in feet per second?
c. How many lengths would it take to swim a kilometer?
d. Last summer Don got to swim in a pool that was 25 meters long. How many lengths would it take to swim a kilometer there? How many for a mile?
- Algebra - Reiny, Friday, November 9, 2012 at 9:18am
72 lengths of 25 yards = 1800 yards
1 mile = 1760 yards, so he swam farther than a mile
to swim a mile:
1760/25 = 70.4
So he would need about 70 1/2 length to swim a mile, (might as well finish the 71 st length)
1 mile = 5280 ft
rate = 5280/(2400) ft/sec = 11/5 or 2.2 ft/sec
c) 1 km = appr 1093.6 yds
number of length fo r 1 km = 1093.6/25 = 43.7 lengths
d) number of lengths to swim 1 km in a 25 m pool
= 1000/25 = 40
to swim 1 mile in a 25 m pool (there are 1609.344 m in 1 mile)
= 1609.344 /25 = 64.37 lengths
(time to get rid of all that mile, yards, feet etc, and go metric)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Freshman math question, super confused! Today while Don was swimming, he ...
- Math - A swimming pool is 50 meters long. If I swim 60 lengths of the pool each ...
- Math - In order to swim one mile in a rectangular pool, I must swim the length ...
- Math - Zain goes swimming. He swims the first length of the pool in 2.5 minutes...
- math - A swimming pool is 50 meters long. Jamie swam 60 lengths of the pool in ...
- Physics - an athlete leaves one end of a pool pf length l at t=0 and arrives at ...
- English - Can you swim? 1. Yes, I can swim very well. 2. Yes, I can swim a ...
- English - On summer vacation, I went to Spo1 Park. I went there by car. In the ...
- physics - An athlete leaves one end of a pool of length L at t = 0 and arrives ...
- Math;Pre-Algebra - My cousin Robert was pushed into a pool. The pool was 6 feet ...