Posted by Amy on Thursday, November 8, 2012 at 10:34am.
A large balloon of mass 237 kg is filled with helium gas until its volume is 318 m3. Assume the density of air is 1.29 kg/m3 and the density of helium is 0.179 kg/m3.
(b) Calculate the buoyant force acting on the balloon.
(c) Find the net force on the balloon and determine whether the balloon will rise or fall after it is released.
(d) What maximum additional mass can the balloon support in equilibrium?
(e) What happens to the balloon if the mass of the load is less than the value calculated in part (d)?
(X)The balloon and its load will accelerate downward.
(X)The balloon and its load will remain stationary.
(X)The balloon and its load will accelerate upward.
(f) What limits the height to which the balloon can rise?
PHYSICS - Jennifer, Thursday, November 8, 2012 at 4:17pm
The buoyant force acting on the balloon is (p1V1 - p2V2)g
where V1 = V2 = 318 m3
p1 is the density of air
p2 is the density of helium
c) The net force is the buoyant force - m*g, where m is the mass of the balloon. If the net force is positive, the balloon will rise
d BF - m*g - m(additional)*g = 0
where BF is buoyant force, m is mass of the balloon, m(additional) is additional mass
(e) for any mass less than this, the balloon will have enough buoyant force to accelerate upward.
f) I think the density of air decreases with increasing height.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- PHYSICS PLEASE HELP - A large balloon of mass 237 kg is filled with helium gas ...
- physics - A large balloon of mass 237 kg is filled with helium gas until its ...
- Physics - A balloon of negligible mass is filled with helium gas (p=0.179 kg/m^3...
- Physics - A 1.8-g balloon is filled with helium gas. When a mass of 4.8 g is ...
- College Physics- buoyancy problem - To an order of magnitude, how many helium-...
- physic - an empty rubber balloon has 0.0120 kg it filled of helium. the density ...
- Physics - A balloon with a mass of 90 kg is filled with helium (density = 0.179 ...
- Physics - In this problem, your task is to analyze a lead balloon. The balloon ...
- Physics PLEASE help! - I REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS!!!!! In this problem, your ...
- Physics - An empty rubber balloon has a mass of 0.012kg. the balloon is filled ...