Posted by sb on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:21pm.
A bag of potatoes weighs 3 7/16 pounds. if the average potato weighs 3/16 pound, about how many potatoes are in the bag?
Do I divide 3 7/16 by 3/16 therefore
3 7/16 X 16/1
55/16 X 16/1 = 55 potatoes?
- math - Many, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:26pm
- math - sb, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:28pm
This is such a cool site! Thanks for your help
- math - sb, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:37pm
ugh it's 3/16
so 3 7/16divided by 3/16 =
55/16 x 16/3 = 55/3 or 18 1/3 potatoes. That must be wrong!
This is my daughter's 6th grade homework and it's been so long since I have done this math! She is totally confused and so am I!
- math - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:40pm
Both of you are wrong.
First -- let's try some common sense. Each potato weighs almost 1/4 pound. There would be about 4 potatoes in a pound. The bag weighs a little less than 4 pounds -- so there can't be more than 20 potatoes in a bag.
3 7/16 = 55/16
(55/16) / (3/16)
(55/16) * (16/3) = 880 / 48 = 18.33 or about 18 potatoes
- math >> sb - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:41pm
SB -- You're right -- it's about 18 potatoes.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math pow - there are about 20 potatoes in a five pound bag and restaurant uses ...
- statistics - Potatoes - Samples: Assume the weights of Farmer Carl's potatoes ...
- 6th grae math - there are about 20 potatoes in a 5 pound bag.A restaurant uses ...
- Math - Potatoes are sold in 2.25 pound bag. how many whole bag must tanisha buy ...
- math - there are about 20 potatoesin 5 pound bag.A resturant uses about 2 ...
- math - there are about 20 potatoes ina 5 pound bag a restaurant uses about 2 ...
- MATH - THERE IS 20 POTATOES IN A 5LB BAG THE CAFE USES 2 POTATOES PER ORDER THEY...
- english - "big and solid as twelve pounds of mashed potatoes in an eight-pound ...
- Math - What operation should I use to solve this problem? Jessica bought 10.50 ...
- 5th grade Math - Please help, what operation should I use to solve this problem...