Posted by Sierra on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:51am.
How do you find the exact value of sin 5pi/8?
- trig - Steve, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 11:08am
cos2θ = 1 - 2sin^2 θ
since 2θ = 5pi/4, cos 2θ = -1/√2
-1/√2 = 1 - 2sin^2 5π/8
2sin^2 5π/8 = 1 + 1/√2
sin 5π/8 = √(1 + 1/√2)/2
= √(2+√2) / 2
- trig - Damon, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 11:17am
You are talking about 112.5 degrees
that is 90 + 22.5
22.5 is half of 45
so draw this in the third quadrant
I know functions of 45 degrees
sin 45 = +1/sqrt 2
cos 45 = +1/sqrt 2
so what are the functions of 22.5 degrees?
sin(45/2) = +/- sqrt[(1-cos 45)/2]
cos (45/2) = +/-sqrt[(1+cos 45)/2]
in this case we want the negative cos for the sin (look at sketch) because in quadrant 3
so sin 112.5 = -sqrt [ (1+1/sqrt 2)/2]
= -sqrt [ (1 + sqrt 2)/2 sqrt 2
=- sqrt [ (2+sqrt2)/4 ]
= - .923
check sin 112.5 on calculator = -.923
- trig - note - Steve, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 11:22am
sin is positive in QII
- trig - Damon, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 2:52pm
Answer this Question
- trig - find the exact value by using the appropriate half-angle identity: sin(...
- trig - using the fact that 5pi/8=1/2(5pi/8) and the half angle identity for cos ...
- Trig functions - 1)Write the equation sin y= x in the form of an inverse ...
- Trig hep, please? Thank you! - 1. Find the exact value of sin(195(degrees)) 2. ...
- Trig - Find the exact value of tan 5pi/12 using the half-angle identity.
- trig - Find the exact value of the trigonometic function at the given real ...
- math - use exact values of the sin,cos and tan of (pi/3) and (pi/6)(which I ...
- trig/pre -calc - hello, i don't quite understand how to do this type of problem...
- math - use exact values of the sin,cos and tan of (pi/3) and (pi/6)(which I have...
- Math Homework - I'm really confused on how to do this. Can someone show me step ...