Posted by Lauren on Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8:00pm.
Aspirin is prepared by heating salicylic acid, C7H6O3, with acetic anhydride, C4H603. The other product produced is acetic acid, C2H402.
What is the theoretical yield in grams of aspirin, C9H8O4, when 2.00 grams of salicylic acid is heated with 4.00g of acetic anhydride? If the actual yield of aspirin is 2.10g, what is the percentage yield?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 12:16pm
This is a limiting reagent problem because amounts for BOTH reactants are given.
AH = acetic anhydride.
SA = salicylic acid
ASA = aspirin
mols AH = grams/molar mass = ?
mols SA = grams/molar mass = ?
Using the coefficients in the balanced equation, convert mols AH to mols of ASA.
Do the same and convert mols SA to mols ASA.
It is quite likely that the two values will not agree which means one of them is wrong; the correct value in limiting reagent problems is ALWAYS the smaller value and the reagent producing that value is the limiting reagent.
Now convert mols of the product to grams by g = mols x molar mass. This is the theoretical yield (TY).
The actual yield in the problem is given as 2.10g (AY).
%yield = (AY/TY)*100 = ?
Chemistry - Anonymous, Monday, October 12, 2015 at 6:29pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chem - Aspirin, C9H8O4, is produced from salicylic acid, C7H6O3, and acetic ...
- chem - Aspirin (C9H8O4) is produced from salicylic acid (C7H6O3), and acetic ...
- AP Chemistry - Aspirin (C9H8O4) is synthesized by reacting salicylic acid (...
- Chemestry - Aspirin (C9H8O4) is synthesized by reacting salicylic acid (C7H6O3) ...
- chemistry - Asprin, C9H8O4, is prepared by reacting salicylic acid, C7H6O3, with...
- chem - A chemist is commissioned to produce twenty pallets of aspirin: C7H6O3 (...
- Chemistry - ASpirin, c9h8o4, is prepared by reating salicylic acid, c7h6o3, with...
- science- please check my work. - Aspirin (C9H8O4) is produced from salicylic ...
- Chemistry - Aspirin, C9H8O4 , is produced through the following reaction of ...
- chemistry - A student prepared aspirin (C9H8O4) in a laboratory experiment using...