Posted by Jman on Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 1:03pm.
2. What is the subject of the sentence below?
Try giving the dog less water and he won’t spill it on the floor.
a. an understood “You”
c. the dog
d. There is no subject. This is a fragment.
Read the following excerpt from Jesse Jackson’s speech to the Democratic National Convention:
I was born in the slum, but the slum was not born in me. And it wasn’t born in you, and you can make it. Wherever you are tonight you can make it. Hold your head high, stick your chest out. You can make it. It gets dark sometimes, but the morning comes. Don’t you surrender. Suffering breeds character. Character breeds faith. In the end faith will not disappoint.
3. What is the best interpretation of the first sentence?
a. Jesse Jackson was born in the slum, but his parents moved him to a better area before it could really affect him.
b. Jesse Jackson was born into poor circumstances, but that did not mean he was locked into them.
c. Jesse Jackson was not actually born in the slum. He is exaggerating to connect with his audience.
d. Jesse Jackson worked hard to escape the circumstances of his birth, but he always feels like he belongs in the slum.
4. Why do you think Jesse Jackson repeats the phrase “you can make it”?
a. to inspire the audience to keep working
b. to make sure the audience hears him
c. to show that he hasn’t given up on his life
- Lang. Arts - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 1:05pm
I'll be glad to check your answers.
- Lang. Arts - Jman, Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 1:06pm
- Lang. Arts - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 1:30pm
2 is wrong. The other two answers are right.
- Lang. Arts - Jman, Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 1:36pm
Then what is 2
- Lang. Arts - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 1:45pm
The verb in the first clause is "try." Obviously it means you should try. So the subject of this clause is the understood "you."
The verb in the second clause is "will spill." Obviously this subject is he.
- Lang. Arts - Jman, Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 1:49pm
- Lang. Arts - Jman, Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 1:58pm
Oh it was You insteed of He
- Lang. Arts - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 2:01pm
Obviously, this sentence has two subjects and two verbs. I suggest you complain to the teacher about this faulty question.
- Lang. Arts - Jman, Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 2:04pm
Answer this Question
- Lang. Arts 2 questions - 9. What is the simple subject in the sentence below? My...
- dog behavior - please check answer thanks Modeling is a training technique that ...
- English - 1. The dog sits under my desk. 2. The dog is sitting under my desk. (...
- english - Select the letter that correctly identifies the basic sentence pattern...
- dog behavior - please check my answer thanks What benefit does an adult dog gain...
- geometry - Determine which if any of the three statements are equivalent, give a...
- behavior problems (dogs) - Please check my answer thanks Often, when an owner ...
- dog behavior - please check my answers thanks so much What is the purpose of ...
- GEOMETRY - DETERMINE WHICH IF ANY,OF THE THREE STATEMENTS ARE EQUIVALENT. GIVE A...
- physics - Skye is trying to make her 70 kg St. Bernard go out the back door but ...