Posted by MichaelF on Monday, November 5, 2012 at 4:25pm.
Which of the following are redox reactions? For those that are, indicate which element is oxidized and whisch is reduced. For those that are not, indicate whether they are precipitation or neutralization reactions.
(a) P4(s) + 10HClO(aq) + 6H2O = 4H3PO4(aq) + 10HCl(aq)
(b) Br2(l) + 2K(s) = 2KBr(s)
(c) CH3CH2OH(l) + 3O2(g) = 3H2O(l) + 2CO2(g)
(d) ZnCl2(aq) + 2NaOH(aq) = Zn(OH)2(s) + 2NaCl(aq)
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 4:42pm
I could write a book (well, maybe only a short one) about this. Exactly where are you having trouble.
1. You need to know how to determine the oxidation states of each element. I can give you a link for that.
2. You need to know which are oxidized and which reduced. Remember this definition. Oxidation is the loss of electrons.
3. For pptn reactions you need to know solubilities. I can give you a link for that.
- chemistry - MichaelF, Thursday, November 8, 2012 at 4:47pm
I'm lost on the entire part. I did not understand this part of the chapter at all and I'm using this problem out of the book to study for the test.
- chemistry - ht, Wednesday, October 1, 2014 at 9:53pm
- chemistry - ronald, Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 10:20pm
i love pie
- chemistry - 123, Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 12:52am
- chemistry - ballsack steve, Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 4:18pm
deez motha luvin nuts
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - which of the following are redox reactions a. 2Na+2H2O-->2Naoh+H2...
- Grade. 12 Chem - Please check my answer! - Determine whether the following are ...
- Chemistry - For the following redox reaction, provide half reactions that show ...
- chemistry - write the overall, balanced molecular equation and indicate which ...
- Chemistry - Balanced equations..done? Is each reaction a redox reaction? For ...
- Chemistry - Please help me verify: The following reactions are involved in the ...
- Chemistry - Label the following reactions as combination, decomposition, ...
- chemistry - for the redox k lab there are also two questions.. drbob222 do you ...
- Chemistry - I need help splitting this reaction into 1/2 reactions 3I2(s) + ...
- chemistry - use oxidation states to identify the element that is being oxidized ...