Posted by Anonymous on Monday, November 5, 2012 at 11:45am.
A Gouy balance is used to determine the magnetic susceptibility of a substance. A strong electromagnet is placed next to the sample, which is on a balance. If the sample is paramagnetic, the mass reading of the balance will increase when the field is switched on. Based on their electron configurations, predict whether these elements are paramagnetic or diamagnetic.
Ar Be C P
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 12:35am
Write their electron configuration, then determine if they have unpaired electrons.
13Al = 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 2p1. Yes, it has 1 unpaired electron so it is paramagnetic.
Chemistry - Anonymous, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 10:10am
Is all the elements diamagnetic?
- Chemistry Major - Anonymous, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 11:50am
This looks like a online exam we cannot help you with test only homework questions but you have to try to get the answer yourself first
- Chemistry HELP ASAP - Anonymous, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 11:51am
The answer I got was all of the elements are diamagnetic but it is wrong.
- Chemistry HELP ASAP - Anonymous, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 11:53am
It is not an online exam. It is online homework.
- Chemistry HELP ASAP - DrBob222, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 1:00pm
Ar is a noble gas; therefore all of the electrons are paired. Diamagnetic
Be is 1s2 2s2 so all paired.
C is 1s2 2s2 2p2. Not all paired.
P is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p3 not all paired.
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - A Gouy balance is used to determine the magnetic susceptibility of a...
- Chemistry-Paramagnetic or Diamagnetic - I did a lab where I was supposed to make...
- chemistry - sometimes,instead of percentage composition, you will have the ...
- chemistry - experiment: Gravimetric determination of moisture in fertilizer ...
- Physics - What volume of aluminum would be needed to balance a 1.00 cm^3 sample ...
- AP BIO - a student wished to test a sample of organic material to determine ...
- math - Suppose your business has a special checking account used just for paying...
- Chemistry - Tungsten trioxide (WO3) has a rich yellow color and is often used as...
- Physics - 100-g sample of substance is heated to 100˚C and placed into ...
- physics - The spring balance is calibrated in newtons. State how the mass of the...