Posted by avadhesh on Monday, November 5, 2012 at 5:22am.
in a triangle ABC it is known that AB=AC. Suppose D is the mid point of AC and BD=BC=2. Then the area of the triangle ABC is
- math - Reiny, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 7:54am
let AD = DC = x
then AB = 2x
in triangle ABC , angle B = angle C =Ø
in triangle BCD , angle C = angle BDC = Ø
2 angles of one are equal to 2 angles of the other, so they are similar
2/x = 2x/2
2x^2 = 4
So triangle ABC has equal sides of 2√2 and a base of 2
which is similar to
√2 : √2 : 1
Using the cosine law we can find angle A
1^2 = √2^2 + √2^2 - 2(√2)(√2)cosA
4cosA = 3
cosA = 3/4
then sinA = √7/4
area ABC = (1/2)(2e√2)(2√2)(√7/4)= √7
check my arithmetic, should have written it out first.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - D is the mid-point of side AB of the triangle ABC, E is mid-point of ...
- mats - AD is the mid point of triangle ABC and G divides AD in the ratio 2:1 ....
- math - In isosceles right triangle ABC, point D is on hypotenuse BC such that AD...
- maths - DRAW LOCUS OF POINT SO THAT IT IS EQUIDISTANT FROM BC & CA . ... ...
- geometry - Open that link please please help me with my assignments 1. in the ...
- maths-areas - in triangle ABC P, Q AND R ARE the mid points of side AB, BC, CA....
- Geometry - Let ABC be any triangle. Equilateral triangles BCX, ACY, and BAZ are...
- sanket study centre - In triangle ABC p,q,r such that they lie interior of ...
- HELP!!!!RIGHT NOW!!!! - Which set of side lengths shows similar triangles? (1 ...
- math - B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C A Triangle ABC is right angled at A. The...