Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 10:24pm.
A Gouy balance is used to determine the magnetic susceptibility of a substance. A strong electromagnet is placed next to the sample, which is on a balance. If the sample is paramagnetic, the mass reading of the balance will increase when the field is switched on. Based on their electron configurations, predict whether these elements are paramagnetic or diamagnetic.
Ar Be C P
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 12:35am
Write their electron configuration, then determine if they have unpaired electrons.
13Al = 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 2p1. Yes, it has 1 unpaired electron so it is paramagnetic.
Chemistry - Anonymous, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 10:10am
Is all the elements diamagnetic?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 12:02pm
No. All of the elements are not dimagnetic. The Al I wrote is paramagnetic.
Chemistry - Anonymous, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 12:13pm
There is no Al. Only Ar. The elements are Ar, Be, C, P.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 3:52pm
I know that. I wrote Al, thinking that if you knew how to do Al you would know how to do the others. I answered all of these at your other post.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry HELP ASAP - A Gouy balance is used to determine the magnetic ...
- Chemistry-Paramagnetic or Diamagnetic - I did a lab where I was supposed to make...
- physics - The spring balance is calibrated in newtons. State how the mass of the...
- science - A body with a mass of 10 kg is placed on a smooth surface. It is ...
- chemistry - experiment: Gravimetric determination of moisture in fertilizer ...
- physics - The hook of a spring balance carries an object of mass 5kg And the ...
- Science - Which procedure is the best way to find the correct mass of an object ...
- chemistry - A vial containing water, its lid, and an Alka-Seltzer tablet are ...
- Physics - What volume of aluminum would be needed to balance a 1.00 cm^3 sample ...
- physics - a mass of 10 kg is suspended from a spring balance .it is pulled aside...