Posted by Connie on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 7:15pm.
I'm trying to form an arguement based on the following poem does anyone have any ideas on how I could do that effectively?
TO HELP THE MONKEY CROSS THE RIVER,
which he must
cross, by swimming, for fruit and nuts,
to help him
I sit, with my rifle, on a platform
high in a tree, same side of the river
as the hungry monkey.how does this assist
him? When he swims for it
I look first up river: predators move faster with
the current than against it.
If a crocodile is aimed from up river to eat the monkey
and an anaconda from down river burns
with the same ambition, I do
the math, algebra, angles, rate-of-monkey
croc and snake-speed, and if, if
it looks like the anaconda or the croc
will reach the monkey
before he attains the river’s far bank,
I raise my rifle and fire
one, two, three, even four times, into the river
just behind the monkey
to hurry him up a little.
Shoot the snake, the crocodile?
They’re just doing their jobs,
but the monkey, the monkey
has little hands, like a child’s
and the smart ones, in a cage, can be taught to smile.
- Poetry/ENG 142/Ivy Bridge - Ms. Sue, Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 7:18pm
What argument do you want to make?
- Poetry/ENG 142/Ivy Bridge - Connie, Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 7:23pm
Well I think the poem has a good meaning and is a joy to read. To me the writer is trying to show his love for the monkey but also make a point that it's not the anaconda's or crocodile's fault that they want to eat the monkey they just need food and the monkey isn't doing anything wrong because he wants food so instead of hurting any of the animals the guy uses his gun to scare the monkey into moving faster to prevent it from getting eaten. How could I make my opinion a valued argument?
- Poetry/ENG 142/Ivy Bridge - Ms. Sue, Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 7:35pm
I think your argument is a good one.
You may find these sites helpful.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths magic - There are A,B,C,D at one end of the bridge.they have to cross ...
- poetry - can someone please give me good links where i can find poetry to read. ...
- physics - a train 100m long is to cross a river bridge of length 800m. what time...
- hw - a train 100m long is to cross a river bridge of length 800m .what time will...
- English 2 - Need help with this-- 'Now you're going to write a "wisdom" poem. ...
- MATH - FOUR CYCLISTS A,B,C&D WANTS TO CROSS A BRIDGE BUT DUE TO BAD CONDITION OF...
- poetry - can anyone give me an example or some ideas of an imagery poem? i think...
- physics - Shyanne (60 kg) has to walk across a single rope bridge to cross a ...
- Math-soh cah toa - A bridge is 140m long.From the ends of the bridge, the angles...
- English - Can someone help me write a simple poem, using the following?: 1 ...