Posted by Mary on Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 10:49pm.
Jane is x years old today. Her brother Kenny is 4 years older. After seven years their total combined age will be 24 years. Write a linear equation for their total combined age after seven years. Fine James age today.
- Math - Damon, Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 10:57pm
x and x+4 forever
x + 7 + x+ 4 +7 = 2x + 18 = 24 after seven years
2x = 6
x = 3
x+4 = 7
so James is 3 now
- Math - Reiny, Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 11:05pm
Jane --- x
Kenny --- x+4
after 7 years:
Jane --- x+7
Kenny -- x+11
at that time:
x+7 + x+11 = 24
2x = 6
Jane is now 3, (where does James come in ? )
...... If you have to do it using 2 variables ....
jane now --- x
Kenny now -- y
y - x = 4 (#1)
x+7 + y+7 = 24
x+y = 10 (#2)
add #1 and #2
2y = 14
y = 7
x = 3
Same answer, but the first method looked easier.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - mary is x years old. it is her birthday today. her sister, sherry is 4 ...
- Math - A girl is three years older than her brother. If their combined age is 35...
- math - you are 6 years older than your sister she is 4 years older than your ...
- Algebra - Mario is 16 years older than his sister Mercedes. Together, their ages...
- math - K is 9 years older than L after 7 years the total of their age is 93 so ...
- algebra - Thabos brother is 5 years younger than him.Their combined age is half ...
- math - A. A woman was 30 years old when her daughter was born.Her age is now 6 ...
- MATH - Solve each questions by age equation problem: 1. Jonathan is 3 years ...
- Algebra - Mary is y years old. Write an algebraic expression in terms of y for ...
- algebra - Jill is 2 years older than Mike. in 5 years, 5 times Mike's age will ...