Posted by James on Friday, November 2, 2012 at 4:49pm.
As part of a physics experiment, you stand on a bathroom scale in an elevator. Though your normal weight is 690 N, the scale at the moment reads 588 N.
(a) Is the acceleration of the elevator upward, downward, or zero?
(b) Calculate the magnitude of the elevator's acceleration.
(c) What, if anything, can you say about the velocity of the elevator?
please I need help. Thanks
Physics - James, Friday, November 2, 2012 at 5:12pm
You don't have to give me the answer but explaining a way to get there would help
Physics - Elena, Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 5:03am
Weight is the force with which the object presses the stationary support. Weight may be less or greater than the force of gravity (mg) in dependence on the downward or upward motion, => Weight = N, but directed in the opposite direction
vector (ma)= vector (mg)+vector( N)
for upward motion: -ma=mg-N
for downward motion: ma=mg-N
N= mg –ma - this is the given case
mg=690 N, N=588N, m=mg/g=690/9.8=70.4 kg
588 =690 - ma
a=( 690-588)/70.4= 1.45 m/s²
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - You stand on a bathroom scale that rests on the floor of an elevator. ...
- physics - Apparent Weight. A physics student weighing 600 N stands on a bathroom...
- physics - Mia is on a planet where g=10 m/s^2. she is standing on a bathroom ...
- physics - A person stands on a bathroom scale on a motionless elevator. When the...
- Physics - Riding in an elevator, a man notices that he feel heavier or lighter ...
- Physics - a 61.6 kg person on a diet stand on a bathroom scale in an elevator. ...
- physics - A student stands on a bathroom scale in an elevator at rest on the ...
- physics - A person stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator. When the...
- Physics Dynamics - A person stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator...
- Physics - A woman stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator. When the ...