Posted by Ashlee on Monday, October 29, 2012 at 8:35pm.
Given a saturated solution of CaF2, write the ionic equilibrium and use it to calculate the solubility of CaF2.
My answers for the ionic equation and ksp values are
it asks what will happen to the value of ksp when a solid NaF is added to the solution?
and what would be the new solubility of CaF2 (in a 0.100 mol/L NaF)
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 10:31pm
...........CaF2(s) ==> Ca^2+ + 2F^-
Ksp = (Ca^2+)(F^-)^2
Substitute from the ICE chart and solve for x. The question asks for solubility of CaF2. You will calculate x = (Ca^2+) in moles/L but since 1 mol CaF2 dissolves to give 1 mol Ca&2+, then x is also solubility CaF2.
If NaF is added to the solution what happens? Remember Le Chatelier's Principle which says that a system at equilibrium will try to undo what we do to it. So if we add F^-, the reaction will try to get rid of it. How can it do that. Only one way. That's by shifting to the left so that the solubility of CaF2 is decreased.
If we make the (F^-) = 0.1 M, then
Ksp = (Ca^2+)(F^-)^2
Ksp = (x)(0.1).
Solver for x.
- chemistry - samra, Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 7:45am
what is the name for CaF2 in chemistry?
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - Given a saturated solution of CaF2, write the ionic equilibrium and ...
- chem/solubility - the Ksp of CaF2 = 1.46*10^-10 and Ka of HF = 3.5*10^-4 ...
- Chemistry - What is the molar solubility of CaF2 if o,1o mol of NaF are added to...
- Chemistry 114 - Write down the Ksp expression for CaF2. If the molar solubility ...
- Chemistry - Consider a saturated solution of calcium fluoride in 0.086 M ...
- Chemistry - At saturation 1.5 x 10^-4 moles caF2 have dissolved in 1L of water. ...
- chemistry - What is the solubility of CaF2 in a buffer solution containing .30 M...
- chemistry - The mineral CaF2 has a solubility of 2.1 x 10^-4 M. What is the Ksp ...
- chemistry - Will a fluoride concentration of 1.0 mg/L be soluble in a water ...
- chem - The molar solubility of MgF2 at 25°C is 1.2 10-3 mol/L. Calculate Ksp. i...