Posted by Nai on Monday, October 29, 2012 at 5:27pm.
3/4 of the students in a school were girls and the rest were boys. 2/3 of the girls and 1/2 of the boys attended the school carnival. Find the total number of students in the school if 330 students did not attend the carnival.
- math - Steve, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 5:43pm
g = 3b, since 3/4 = 3 * 1/4
2/3 g + 1/2 b attended
2/3 (3b) + 1/2 b = 5/2 b attended
subtract that from the total (b+g) students:
b+g - 5/2 b = 330
4b - 5/2 b = 330
3/2 b = 330
b = 220
so, g = 660
There are 880 students
660 girls and 220 boys
440 girls and 110 boys attended: 550
the remaining 330 did not attend.
Nice twist to an otherwise common exercise.
- math - Britney, Monday, October 21, 2013 at 5:31pm
- math - I am not telling you my first name!, Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 9:45pm
I got 250, That is a much more resonable answer
- math - I am not telling you my first name, Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 5:46pm
The actual answer is 880 students. I checked with my teacher.
- math - I am not telling you my first name, Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 11:36pm
since you add the 330 to the 550
- math - I am not telling you my first name, Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 1:10pm
so HAH! I beat you!!!!
- math - Dehar, Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 2:45am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - At a sports carnival,the ratio of number of pupils sent by school A,B and...
- Math - For every girl taking classes at the martial arts school, there are 3 ...
- Gen Math - A school dance has 228 students. There are 63 fewer girls than twice ...
- Math - Nicole drew a circle on the chalkboard that had a radius of 15 cm. Which ...
- MATHS - Two different schools (A and B) have the same number of pupils. The ...
- math - In a private school the ratio of boys to girls is 5:3 if there are 50 ...
- Math - Parkview Middle School has 3 boys to every 4 girls. Cypress Elementary ...
- maths - fractions -in a school,3/5 of the students are girls, number of boys in...
- Math - There are 12 girls and 9 boys in Mrs. Johnson's classroom. She said that ...
- Math - There are 12 girls and 9 boys in Mrs. Johnson's classroom. She said that...