Posted by Lee on Monday, October 29, 2012 at 4:39pm.
You throw a rock off the balcony overlooking your backyard the table shows the height of the rock at different times use quadratic regressin to find a quadratic model for this data.
0 1 2 3 4 5
24 44.2 54.8 55.8 47.2 29
would someone explain this to me had a problem like this before and got it wrong
- algebra - Steve, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 5:02pm
Judging from your other problems, I think quadratic regression is a bit beyond the current subject matter. (If not so, let me know just what you have studied in regards to quadratic regression.) So let's try a simpler approach.
evidently the equation is
y = ax^2 + bx + 24
plugging in the given values,
20.2 = a + b
30.8 = 4a + 2b
31.5 = 9a + 3b
23.2 = 16a + 4b
5 = 25a + 5b
Solving these equations in pairs, we get
(a,b) = (-4.8,25),(-4.9,25.2),(-4.7,24.6),(-4.8,25) and so forth.
If you're not looking for the best fit, you could use a model like
y = -4.8x^2 + 25x + 24
If this approach is not what you wanted, please clarify.
- algebra - Lee, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 9:38pm
The y=4.8x^2+25x+24 was correct answer, but I'm not sure how you got that.
Answer this Question
- algebra - The table shows a meteorologists predicted temperatiures for an April ...
- algebra - Archers need to use arrows that do not bend easily. Th e table shows ...
- College Physics - Consider a rock thrown off a bridge of height 78.5 m at an ...
- physics - Consider a rock that is thrown off a bridge of height 27 m at an angle...
- Ưndustrial Engineering - The figure shows the paths of a golf ball your friend ...
- algebra - Archers need to use arrows that do not bend easily. The table shows ...
- Physics - Example 1: (Rock A) is thrown against a larger stationary rock(Rock B...
- Math-Help - A rock is tossed straight up into the air. The height h (in feet) t ...
- physics homework - You throw a 20 N rock into the air from ground level and ...
- Algebra - Which is NOT true about the following table. X. 1, 2, 3, 4 Y 1, 4, 9, ...