Posted by David on Monday, October 29, 2012 at 3:29pm.
A gas mixture contains 0.60 mol of N2, 0.10 mol of H2, 0.20 mol of CH4. Calculate the pressure of the gas mixture and the partial pressure of each constituent gas if the mixture is in a 6.0 L vessel at 27C.
What is the:
Pressure of H2
Pressure of N2
Pressure of CH4
CHEM! - DrBob222, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 4:12pm
There are a couple ways to do this but both depend upon the same process.
a) Use n = individual mols listed in the problem, use PV = nRT and solve for Peach as pN2, pH2, pCH4.
b) Then find ptotal = pN2 + pH2 + pCH4.
a. Add mols of individual gases to find ntotal, the use PV = nRT and substitute the conditions of the problem; solve for Ptotal (since you used ntotal).
b. Calculate mols fraction of each gas.
You know total mols from above,
XN2 = (pN2/total mols) = ?
XCH4 = (pCH4/total mols) = ?
XH2 = (pH2/total mols)
c. pH2 = XH2*Ptotal
pN2 = XN2*Ptotal
pCH4 = XCH4*Ptotal
#1 is easier because it's all the same formula; #2 is more interesting because you use something different. Mole fraction is important.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - a tank contains a mixture of 3.0 mol of nitrogen gas, 2.0 mol of ...
- Chemsitry II - The partial pressure of CH4(g) is 0.185 atm and that of O2(g) is ...
- Chem - a 1.00 vessel at 0 degrees celcius contains 0.17 mols n2 1.0 mols h2 and ...
- chemistry - A mixture of gases contains 0.235 mol CO2, 0.124 mol CO, and 0.326 ...
- Chemistry - A mixture of gases contains 2.00 mol of O2, 3.00 mol of N2, and 5.00...
- Chemistry - A mixture of gases contains 0.65 mol of N2, 0.70 mol of O2, and 0.90...
- chemistry - A tank contains a mixture of 3.0 mol of nitrogen 2.0 mol of oxygen ...
- chem 105 - A gas mixture with a total pressure of 745mmHg contains each of the ...
- Chemistry - EOC Problem 6.046 A mixture of gases contains 0.65 mol of N2, 0.70 ...
- chemistry help!! - a gaseous mixture contains 1 mol of O2 and 2 mol of CO2, ...