Posted by Jman on Monday, October 29, 2012 at 1:26pm.
Wishing Well by Kate Schmitt
The mesh of the blanket tangles
and lumps of comforter
two-toned flannel and bedspread
twist and slip.
I haven't slept in a week
so i wear my brown hooded
sweatshirt with the hoodstrings
pulled tight around my face.
I picture a wishing well
with edges of greening minerals
and coins dull with old water.
I throw my wish in a copper arc.
After I've thrown it I lie
unconcerned. These things take time.
2. What is the complete subject in the following sentence?
The book under the table is covered in dust.
b. covered in dust
c. The book under the table
d. under the table
3. Which of the statements below is the best example of making a connection to the speaker’s experience in the poem “Wishing Well”?
a. After we moved to our new house, I didn’t sleep for three days. I felt just as frustrated as the speaker in the poem.
b. I read two of the author’s other poems, so I am familiar with her writing style and the topics about which she writes.
c. I saw a wishing well at the mall near my house, so I am familiar with what those look like.
d. My problems don’t usually keep me up at night, and I don’t understand what the speaker is experiencing.
4. How do you know the poem “Wishing Well” is written in free verse?
a. The poem does not contain any rhyme.
b. The poem is written in first person.
c. The stanzas do not all have the same number of lines.
d. The words are grouped as they might be in a conversation.
- Poem Help - Ms. Sue, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 1:29pm
I'll be glad to check your answers.
- Poem Help - Jman, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 1:30pm
- Poem Help - Ms. Sue, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 1:33pm
3. is right. The other two are wrong.
- Poem Help - Jman, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 1:34pm
- Poem Help - Jman, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 1:36pm
Are those choices right?
- Poem Help - Ms. Sue, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 1:55pm
I think your numbering is off.
Please check and repost.
- Poem Help - Jman, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 1:57pm
Sorry about that.
- Poem Help - Ms. Sue, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 3:29pm
Only # 2 is correct.
- Poem Help - Anonymous, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 3:37pm
- Poem Help - anonymous, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 2:55pm
- Poem Help - Anonymous, Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 10:55am
- Poem Help - Lady, Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 11:31am
I just toke this quick check and the person above ^ me has all the correct answers.
- Poem Help - Kelly, Friday, January 11, 2013 at 4:57pm
4 is d
- Poem Help - Kelly, Friday, January 11, 2013 at 4:58pm
so the correct answers for this quick check, which I just took, are:
- poem - jolianna, Monday, November 4, 2013 at 7:22pm
are they right....
- Poem Help - jolianna, Monday, November 4, 2013 at 7:23pm
is #3 right??.....
- Poem Help - jolianna, Monday, November 4, 2013 at 7:27pm
plzz be right cuz im trying hard to get my grades up you know...... and im trying hard to get my mom to be happy.......
- Poem Help - Anonymous, Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 11:33am
Answer this Question
Beowulf poem - 1. The poem describes when Grendel’s “hatred began,” but it ...
english - Which of the following statements BEST explains why "I Am Offering ...
AP English Lit - Hi, I have a question that I'm stuck on. Do you know what kind ...
english.poem.i am offering this poem - which of the following statements BEST ...
English (Grade 5) - This is not in order. Please put the story about "The ...
english need help asap - * 3. Which phrase from Song of Myself, Number 52 is a ...
AP English Lit - Hi, I was wondering what kind of poem "Dream Variations" by ...
math - In an election, Kate lost to Lee by 32 votes. Because the vote was so ...
english - how does the structure of the poem affect the meaning of the poem..or...
Poem/Planet on theTable - does anyone know the meaning of this poem by wallace ...