Posted by Maggy on Monday, October 29, 2012 at 12:25pm.
You have amisture that is 0.100mol/L in each of the following ions: Cl-, Br-, and I-.
(a) Which substance will precipitate first?
AgCl, AgBr, AgI?
(b)what is the concentration of Ag+ required to start the precipitation of the first substance?
ksp (AgCl)= 1.77*10^-10
ksp (AgBr)= 5.35*10^-13
ksp (AgI)= 8.51*10^-17
Could you please help me understand how to do this problem? I am so lost.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 5:18pm
Look up Ksp for AgCl, AgBr and AgI.
The salt with the smallest Ksp will ppt first.(this comparison is true only when the salts have the same ratio. In this case all are 1:1).
The following shows you how to calculate Ag^+ at the time EACH ppts. However, AgCl will not ppt first and that's the one you are calculate. AgI ppts first.
......AgCl(s) ==> Ag^+(aq) + Cl^-(aq)
Ksp = whatever = (Ag^+)(Col^-)
Ksp = (x)(x)
Solve for x = (Ag^+).
- Chemistry - Maggy, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 6:02pm
i got 4.46*10^-4??
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 29, 2012 at 9:17pm
No, that isn't right; however, I may have led you down the wrong path. I see at the top that the solution is 0.1M in I^- so
AgI==> Ag^+ + I^-
Ksp = (Ag^+)(I^-)
Ag^+ is x from AgI.
I^= 0.1M from the problem.
8.51E-17 = (0.1)(x)
Solve for x.
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - Which of the following pairs of compounds will give a precipitate in...
- Chemistry - The values of Ksp for silver bromide, AgBr is 7.7x10^-13, and silver...
- Chemistry - List the following equilibrium solutions in order of decreasing free...
- chemistry - If solid AgNO3 is slowly added to a solution that is .05 M in NaI ...
- chemistry - A 0.8612g sample of a mixture consisting of NaBr,NaI and NaNO3 was ...
- chemistry - The values of Ksp for AgBr and AgCl, are 7.7x10^-13 and 1.6 x 10^-10...
- Chemistry - A solution contains 0.022 M Ag and 0.033 M Pb2 . If you add Cl–, ...
- chemistry - Consider the following reaction CaCl2(aq) + 2Ag2SO4(aq) ! CaSO4...
- Chem - Can somebody check this for me?? Ksp AgCl 1.8x10^-10 Ag2CrO4 1.0x10^-12 ...
- Chemistry - Suppose you are given the following experimentally observed facts ...