Posted by Katelyn on Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 7:31pm.
during a sale at the local department store, you buy three sweatshirts and two pairs of sweatpants for $85.50. later you return to the same store and but three more sweatshirts and four more pairs of sweatpants for $123. what is the sale price of each sweatshirt and each pair of sweatpants?
- Algebra - PsyDAG , Monday, October 29, 2012 at 5:40pm
3s + 4p = 123
3s + 2p = 85.5
Subtract second equation from the first.
2p = 37.5
p = 18.75
You should be able to work it from here.
- Algebra - Mr.Mathews, Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 6:41pm
3 sweatshirts and 2 sweatpants for 85.50 --> 3x+2y=85.50
3 sweatshirts and 4 sweatpants for 123 --> 3x+4y=123
solve for one of the variables in either equation (in terms of the other variable) and insert the answer into the other equation to get an actual value of the other variable
x=28.5-(2/3)y --> insert the "x" value into the other equation to solve for "y"
y=18.75 --> now insert the "y" value into the first equation to get an actual value for "x"
FINAL ANSWER:(x=16 and y=18.75)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - During a sale at the local department store, you buy three sweatshirts ...
- math - A store sold 64 sweatshirts one day. Of these, 12 were gray. The store ...
- math - A store has 2 times as many hooded sweatshirts as crewneck sweatshirts. ...
- algebra - Retail Sales of Sweatshirts: Sandy's Sweatshirt shop sells college ...
- Algebra - One day a store sold 30 sweatshirts. White ones cost $9.95 and yellow ...
- Math - one day a store sold 21 sweatshirts. White ones cost $10.95 and yellow ...
- math - Sandy’s Sweatshirt Shop sells college sweatshirts. White sweatshirts sell...
- math - A store has 2 times as many hooded sweatshirt as crewneck sweatshirt. The...
- algebra - Sandy’s Sweatshirt Shop sells college sweatshirts. White sweatshirts ...
- algebra - A store sold 29 sweatshirts. White ones cost $ 9.95 and yellow ones ...