Posted by Hannah on Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 3:02pm.
I know that to calculate the specific rotation for a compound you do
observed rotation / path length(dm) * conc. (g/ml).
I am confused about how to calculate the specific optical rotation for a compound.
Thank you for your help!
- Chemistry(Please help) - DrBob222, Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 3:12pm
I'm not understanding. You know the formula; substitute the numbers and solve for alpha.
- Chemistry(Please help) - Hannah, Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 3:17pm
Oh ok, the question asks me to find the specific rotation for D-erythrose 4-phosphate which I determined was 50 and then it asks me to find the specific optical rotation for L-erythrose 4-phosphate so I thought that it would be a different formula.
- Chemistry(Please help) - Hannah, Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 3:20pm
The path of length was given in cm so I converted it to dm but I am not sure if I calculated the concentration correctly. A 50 gram sample was dissolved in 10 mL solution so would I do 50/10?
- Chemistry(Please help) - DrBob222, Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 3:49pm
Yes, path length is in dm and cncn is g/mL. In your case that is 50g/10 mL = 5 g/mL.
- Chemistry(Please help) - Hannah, Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 4:22pm
ok thank you and for the specific rotation of L-erythrose 4-phosphate would it be the same as for D-erythrose 4-phosphate which I determined was 50 or would it be -50?
- Chemistry(Please help) - DrBob222, Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 5:01pm
If one is + the optical isomer will be - but don't confuse D and L with d and l.
d is for dextro-rotatory(right handed) and l is for levo-rotatory(left handed) and they don't have anything to do with D- and L-.
Here is a LONG article where you can read more.
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - If the specific rotation of Compound X is (-) 123.8º, what would be ...
- chemistry - Calculate the specific rotation for Compound A, whose observed ...
- Organic Chemistry - A 0.160 M solution of an enantiomerically pure chiral ...
- ochem lab - What is the expected observed rotation of a 9.1 x 10-5 M solution of...
- Chemistry - Organic chemistry: an attempt at synthesizing a certain optically ...
- Chemistry - Suppose a student is measuring the optical rotation of a 1 M sample ...
- Chemistry - The structure of Crestor (rosuvastatin), a medication used to ...
- Organic Chemistry - how to calculate specific observed rotation?
- Chemistry - A pure sample of (R)-limonene has a specific rotation of +125.6. If ...
- Chemistry - What is the percentage of the S enantiomer in a sample of carvone ...