Posted by CJ on Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 1:58pm.
1)one number is four more than a second number. Twice the second is three more than the first. Find the numbers.
2)four times one number minus a second is 11, and the sum of the numbers is 14. Find the numbers.
Math - Reiny, Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 2:25pm
let one number (the first ) be x
let the second number by y
Just translate the English into Math , after all Math is just a language
"one number is four more than a second number" ---> x = y+4
"Twice the second is three more than the first" ---> 2y = x+3
so lining them up
x - y = 4
x - 2y = -3
y = 7
then from x = y+7
x = 11
The first number is 11, the second is 7
is 11 four more than 7 ? YES
is twice 14 three more than 11 ? YES
I am right!!!
Try the second the same way, show me your work
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Grade 8 Math - Can you write them in Mathematical/numbers form I'll solve them ...
- algebra - Twice the first number is eleven more than the sum of the other two ...
- algebra - Five times the smallest of three consecutive odd integers is ten more ...
- algebra - Three numbers are such that the first number is 10 less than twice the...
- Algebra 2 - The sum of three numbers is 23. The first number is equal to twice ...
- Math - twice a number minus a second number is -1. twice the second number added...
- Math - four times one number minus a second is 11, and the sum of the numbers is...
- math - The greater of two numbers is 1 more than twice the smaller. Three times ...
- math - one number is three more than a second number. Three times the first is 7...
- Algebra 2 - The sum of three numbers is 36.the first number is two times the ...