Posted by Chris on Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 12:38am.
A local animal shelter had four more than six times as many adult cats as kittens. After eight of the kittens were adopted, the shelter had four fewer than eight times as many adult cats as kittens. How many adult cats are at the shelter?
Math - Reiny, Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 8:41am
kittens --- x
adult cats -- 6x+4
kittens = x-8
6x+4 = 8(x-8) - 4
6x + 4 = 8x - 64 - 4
-2x = -72
x = 36
Number of adults has not changed, so there are
6(36) + 4 or 220 adult cats
number of kittens 36
cats = 220
is 6(36) + 4 = 220 ? yes
kittens = 28
is 8(28)-4 = 220 ? YES
My answer is correct
Math - tt, Monday, February 18, 2013 at 6:35pm
At the local animal shelter, there are 30 cats and 36 dogs. What is the ratio of dogs to cats at the local animal shelter
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Of all the animals at the shelter 5/8 are cats. 2/3 of them are kittens ...
- Math - A local animal shelter houses only cats and dogs. This week of all the ...
- MATH - THERE are six times as many cats at the Orange County Animal Shelter than...
- Math - The ratio of the number of cats to the number of dogs in an animal ...
- math - 6 men have 6 bags each, each one has 6 cats and they had 6 kittens how ...
- math - here is a riddle: As i was going to Halifax, I met a man with 7 sacks, ...
- 4th Grade Math - The ratio of the number of dogs to the number of cats at an ...
- Genetics - In cats the allele B produces black, whereas b produces yellow. ...
- Math - In its monthly report, the local animal shelter states that it currently ...
- Math - katie is going to adopt kittens from a litter of 11. how many ways can ...