Posted by Chris on Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 12:38am.
A local animal shelter had four more than six times as many adult cats as kittens. After eight of the kittens were adopted, the shelter had four fewer than eight times as many adult cats as kittens. How many adult cats are at the shelter?
- Math - Reiny, Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 8:41am
kittens --- x
adult cats -- 6x+4
kittens = x-8
6x+4 = 8(x-8) - 4
6x + 4 = 8x - 64 - 4
-2x = -72
x = 36
Number of adults has not changed, so there are
6(36) + 4 or 220 adult cats
number of kittens 36
cats = 220
is 6(36) + 4 = 220 ? yes
kittens = 28
is 8(28)-4 = 220 ? YES
My answer is correct
- Math - tt, Monday, February 18, 2013 at 6:35pm
At the local animal shelter, there are 30 cats and 36 dogs. What is the ratio of dogs to cats at the local animal shelter
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH - THERE are six times as many cats at the Orange County Animal Shelter than...
- Math - A local animal shelter houses only cats and dogs. This week of all the ...
- 4th Grade Math - The ratio of the number of dogs to the number of cats at an ...
- math - there are 2 times more cats than the number of dogs at a shelter.
- math - at the animal shelter , one third ofthe animals are dogs , 1/6 are cats,...
- math - 6 men have 6 bags each, each one has 6 cats and they had 6 kittens how ...
- math - At the animal shelter, 1/3 of the animals are dogs, 2/12 are cats, and 19...
- Singapore Math - An animal shelter has 1008 cats, dogs and rabbits. The ratio of...
- Math - An animal shelter have 1008 cats, dogs, and rabbits. The ratio of the ...
- math - here is a riddle: As i was going to Halifax, I met a man with 7 sacks, ...