Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 4:47pm.
A woman 5 ft tall walks at the rate of 5.5 ft/sec away from a streetlight that is 16 ft above the ground. At what rate is the tip of her shadow moving?
Calculus - bobpursley, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 5:36pm
Make the diagram. The streetlight height is 16. Let the distance from the streetlamp base to the tip of the shadow as x. Label the distance from the streetlamp base to the person as d.
11 dx/dt=16 dd/dt
dd/dt =5.5ft/sec, solve for dx/dt
Calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 5:51pm
I do not agree with bobpursley's solution
let the distance of the woman from the streetlight be x ft
let the length of her shadow be y ft
by ratios ...
5/y = 16/(x+y)
16y = 5x + 5y
11y = 5x
11 dy/dt = 5 dx/dt
but dx/dt = 5.5
dy/dt = (5/11)(5.5) = 2.5
So her shadow is lengthening at 2.5 ft/sec
but she is moving at 5.5 ft/sec, so her shadow is moving at 2.5+5.5 or 8 ft/sec
( I am walking along the inside of a moving train at 3 ft/sec, while the train is moving at 50 ft/sec
So I am moving at 53 ft/sec)
Calculus - Calc, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 9:36pm
Reiny is definitely correct.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - A woman 5.5 ft tall walks at a rate of 6 ft/sec toward a streetlight ...
- calculus - My problem is that a stft above the sidewalk. a man 6ft tall walks ...
- Calculus - Shadow Length A man 6 feet tall walks at a rate of 3 ft per second ...
- calculus - A 5.5 foot tall woman walks at 6ft/s torward a street light that is ...
- calculus - A street light is at the top of a 19 ft tall pole. A woman 6 ft tall ...
- Related Rates Calculus - A man 1.8 m tall is walking at a rate of 1.5 m/s away ...
- diffirential calculus - a woman 6ft tall walks away from a light 10ft above the ...
- Calculus ~ Related Rates - A man 2 meters tall walks at the rate of 2 meters per...
- Calculus - A street light is hung 18 ft. above street level. A 6-foot tall man ...
- Math - a man 6ft tall walks at the rate of 5ft/sec toward a streetlight that is ...