Posted by Monica on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 3:15pm.
Two fewer than a number doubled is the same as the number decreased by 38. Find the number.
If n is "the number," which equation could be used to solve for the number?
- Algebra 1 - Steve, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 3:20pm
"Two fewer than a number" doubled
2(n-2) = n-38
Two fewer than "a number doubled"
2n-2 = n-38
- Algebra 1 - Monica, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 3:22pm
Thank Yu. Unknowns seem to get me stuck. I have another one.
Separate 846 into 3 parts so that the second part is twice the first part and the third part is triple the second part.
Which of the following equations could be used to solve the problem?
- Algebra 1 - Steve, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 3:46pm
call the parts a,b,c
a+b+c = 846
b = 2a
c = 3b
substitute in for b and c to get
a+2a+6a = 846
9a = 846
a = 94
To solve this kinda stuff, just take it one step at a a time. First, translate the words into symbols. Then substitute things as needed. After a thousand or so, you'll get the hang of it. :-)
- Algebra 1 - Monica, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 4:21pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - One number is 6 more than another number and their sum is 2. Whats the...
- algebra - Please check A number m decreases by 4 m-4 A number d divided by k,...
- algebra - 1. a number increased by 21 is 28. find the number 2. a number ...
- Math- urgent - One more than 3 times a number is the same as 5 times the number...
- 6th grade math - Can you check these problems, please? Translate each phrase ...
- Help me please - Find a number that is decreased by 12 when you form half of the...
- math help - 1. a number increased by 21 is 28. find the number 2. a number ...
- Math - 40-3n=-23 what is n? 2/3-6h=-13/6 what is h? write as a equation,then ...
- 8th Grade Algebra - These are extra credit questions, and I just want to know ...
- Math 8R: Homework Check - Part 4 - Part 4: Translate and solve: 25. 6 less than ...