Posted by Emmy on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:14am.
i am having problems understanding.... i don't know how to put it so i will just put what the problem is
Write the slope-intercept form of an equation of the line that passes through the given point and is parallel to the graph of each equation
13. (2,-7) y= x-2
i know that 2 and -7 is the slope to the line that i have to get the new line to be parallel to it.... if that makes sence... but please help!!!
- Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:23am
in the y-intercept slope form
y = mx + b
the slope is m and the y-intercept is b
(2, -7) is a point and tells you nothing about the slope.
so the given line is y = x-2
or y = 1x - 2, so you know the slope must be 1, since the two lines are to be parallel
and the new line must look like
y = 1x + b, where only the y-intercept or the b would have changed
Now we plug in our new point (2,-7)
-7 = 1(2) + b
b = -9
your new equation parallel to the old one is
y = x - 9
- Algebra - Emmy, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:32am
ohhhhhh now i see ok can i do one and could you tell me if im right??
- Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:39am
will be here for another 15 minutes
- Algebra - Emmy, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:44am
y=2x-5 <--- is this right?
- Algebra - Steve, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:56am
yep. to check, just plug in (2,-1) and see whether it satisfies the equation. Since 2(2)-5 = -1, you're right on.
- Algebra - emmy, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 12:04pm
thank you sooooo much!!!!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Math/Algebra do u know how to do slope intercept? - The following problems are ...
- Algebra.. - HELP. Problems 4 - 7: Write an equation for the line in point/slope ...
- Algebra II - Can you make sure my Algebra II work is correct? I've done the ...
- My Daughter Stacy needs help in math plz help! - You have to find the x and y ...
- algebra[please check] - in questions 1 and 2, write an equation of the line in ...
- Algebra2 - Write an equation for the line in point/slope form and slope/...
- Algebra 1 ( bobpursley) - 1. Write an equation in slope-intercept form for the ...
- Math - How do you write equations for perpendicular lines? I will assume you ...
- math - A line passes through the origin and the point (-6, 4). Write the ...