Posted by Emmy on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:14am.
i am having problems understanding.... i don't know how to put it so i will just put what the problem is
Write the slope-intercept form of an equation of the line that passes through the given point and is parallel to the graph of each equation
13. (2,-7) y= x-2
i know that 2 and -7 is the slope to the line that i have to get the new line to be parallel to it.... if that makes sence... but please help!!!
Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:23am
in the y-intercept slope form
y = mx + b
the slope is m and the y-intercept is b
(2, -7) is a point and tells you nothing about the slope.
so the given line is y = x-2
or y = 1x - 2, so you know the slope must be 1, since the two lines are to be parallel
and the new line must look like
y = 1x + b, where only the y-intercept or the b would have changed
Now we plug in our new point (2,-7)
-7 = 1(2) + b
b = -9
your new equation parallel to the old one is
y = x - 9
Algebra - Emmy, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:32am
ohhhhhh now i see ok can i do one and could you tell me if im right??
Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:39am
will be here for another 15 minutes
Algebra - Emmy, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:44am
y=2x-5 <--- is this right?
Algebra - Steve, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 11:56am
yep. to check, just plug in (2,-1) and see whether it satisfies the equation. Since 2(2)-5 = -1, you're right on.
Algebra - emmy, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 12:04pm
thank you sooooo much!!!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- Algebra 1 - Algebra 1 help please :( Use the point-slope from linear equation ...
- Algebra.. - HELP. Problems 4 - 7: Write an equation for the line in point/slope ...
- Math/Algebra do u know how to do slope intercept? - The following problems are ...
- Algebra - 1.Write an equation in slope- intercept form of the line that passes ...
- Algebra - Write the equation of the line passing through the given point with ...
- Math - 1. Use point-slope form to write the equation of a line that has a slope ...
- Math - How do you write equations for perpendicular lines? I will assume you ...
- My Daughter Stacy needs help in math plz help! - You have to find the x and y ...