Posted by Jessie on Monday, October 22, 2012 at 9:33am.
How do you find the percentage of a number?
I have no clue how you do that.
An example I have is 850 students are attending a camp, 38% of them play musical instruments. What number of people play instruments?
I don't get how to solve that and here's another example.
18 is what % of 225. I don't know how you'd solve that either.
- Math - Steve, Monday, October 22, 2012 at 10:20am
to get a handle on things, work with simpler numbers.
Surely you know what 50% means. Half, right? So, what % of 2 is 1? You know it's 50%, so what do you have to do to get that?
You need to know that 50% = 0.50 (divide % by 100 to get decimal equivalent)
So, using just 1 and 2, how do you get 0.5? 1/2, right?
so, if A is some 20% of B, you need A/B = 0.20
If you wan to know what % A is of B, just divide A/B and make that a % by multiplying by 100.
So, what % is 5 of 10?
5/10 = 0.50 = 50%
what % is 18 of 225?
18/225 = 0.08 = 8%
what is 38% of 850?
"of" usually means you multiply.
1/2 of 10 is 1/2 * 10 = 5
38% = 0.38
so, 38% of 850 = 0.38 * 850 = 323
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math 1 - write an equation that represents the following situation. Let x= the ...
- Math - Use the following information to determine the number of people in each ...
- Further mathf - In a senior secondary school, 80 students play hockey or ...
- iloj - The number of students attending the fall play was 150 more than the ...
- math - There were 3 times as many adults as students attending a school play. If...
- algebra 1 - the number of students attending the Fall play was 150 more than the...
- math - IF 2/7 OF THE 2905 STUDENTS ARE FRESHMEN,AND IF 30% OF THE FRESHMEN PLAY ...
- algebra - The number of students attending the fall play was 150 more than the ...
- probability - For each 100 8th grade girls in a certain middle school, 85 play ...
- Algebra - For each 100 8th grade girls in a certain middle school, 85 play ...