Posted by Devin on Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 9:00pm.
Find all root of ln(4-x^2)=x correct to 8 decimal places. List all successive approximations.
- Successive approximations - Reiny, Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 12:35am
4 - x^2 = e^x
by making a rough sketch of
y = 4-x^2 and y = e^x, I can see that there are roots at appr. 1 and -2
setting up for Newton's Method:
let y = 4 - x^2 - e^x
y' = -2x - e^x
His method says:
newx = x - y/y' = x - (4-x^2 - e^x)/(-2x - e^x)
= x + (4-x^2 - e^x)/(2x+e^x)
so start with x = 1
newx ---- x
???? ----- 1
1.058007813 --- 1.058007813
1.058006401 --- 1.058006401
1.058006401 YEahhhhh! correct to 9 decimal places
start with x = -2
-1.964635631 --- -1.964635631
-1.964635597 --- -1.964635597
-1.964635597 Yeah again,
x = 1.058006401 or x = -1.964635597
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Find all roots of the equation ln(4-x^2)=x correct to 8 decimal places. ...
- CALCULUS - Use Newton's method to find all the roots of the equation correct to ...
- Math - Locate the square root of negative 15 and the square root of 94 cubed to ...
- Precalculus - Suppose 3 mg of a drug is injected into a person's bloodstream. As...
- calculus - Use the Newton method to approximate the indicated zero of the ...
- Chem - What simplifying assumptions do we usually make in working problems ...
- Math - please help!!!!Apply newtons method to approximate the x-values of the ...
- Calculus - please help!!!!Apply newtons method to approximate the x-values of ...
- Corporate Finance - An investment today of $3,3OO is worth $10,000 IN 8 YEARS. ...
- Calculus - Use Newton's Method to approximate the positive root of the function ...