Posted by sandy on Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 9:20am.
√3x-2+√2x+5+1=0 Could this square root problem be solved by using a graphing TI-84 Plus calculator? If so, will you please tell me how to do it.
college alegebra - Reiny, Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 10:28am
I will assume you mean
√(3x-2) + √(2x+5) + 1 = 0
by definition, √(anything) is the POSITIVE square root of anything, so the left side of your equation is the sum of three positive numbers, which of course can never be zero.
your equation has no solution.
why don't you graph
y = √(3x-2) + √(2x+5) + 1
and you will see that the entire graph lies above the x-axis.
Here is what Wolfram says:
the "real number" graph is in blue, lies above the x-axis
college alegebra - Shell, Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 11:45am
Reiny, no, actually, the square root of anything is not always the positive. because if you multiply two negative numbers, you get a positive number. So, when you square root anything, you assume it is either the positive or negative of a number, because it can be either.
Unfortunately, I do not have a TI-84, so I can only say to graph both the positive and the negative forms on you graph and see where they intersect.
Or you can solve the problem the old fashion way (which is rather easy...)
college alegebra - Shell, Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 11:47am
....ok, maybe it's not easy... >.<
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math(I Don't Get THIS!!) - 15sqrt8x^16/5sqrt2x^4 *I totally need help with this ...
- Algebra - Check My Work - For Question 1-8 Simplify the Radical Expression...
- Math - Find an equation of the line that bisects the obtuse angles formed by the...
- 8th grade algebra - Can you check my answers? 1. 3√20/√4 = 3√(...
- maths - I will be thankfull to you if you help me to solve the below problem: 6...
- Algebra - 1. Simplify the expression: 4√18+5√32 A.45√2 B.32...
- Math - I need help simplifying radicals. The problem in priticular is the square...
- Algebra 2 - Can someone help me with this radical expression please? The problem...
- Math - find the value of k in simplest form for which the larger root of x^2-5x+...
- math - simplify - square root of 48x^3y^2 Your problem: √48x^3y^2 Try to ...