Posted by Bill on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 10:28pm.
A 0.528 gram sample of a metal, M, reacts completely with sulfuric acid according to: M+H2SO4 -> MSO4+H2
A volume of 205 mL of hydrogen is collected over water; the water level in the collecting vessel is the same as the outside level. Atmospheric pressure is 756.0 Torr and the temperature is 25°C. Calculate the atomic mass of the metal.
Is the answer 3.24x10^-3 g/mol?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 10:40pm
No. If you will show your work I will look for the error. I think I answered this for you yesterday. I used as pressure of Ptotal = 756 mm + pH2O
and a table gave 23.8 mm for vapor pressure of H2O at 25C.
- Chemistry - Bill, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 10:50pm
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 10:54pm
What did you substitute for PV = nRT?
- Chemistry - Bill, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 10:56pm
- Chemistry - Bill, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 11:08pm
It is 65.4g/mol
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 11:14pm
I would use P = (756-23.8)/760 = 0.963 atm; however, going with your number will still get close to the right answer.
PV = nRT or
n = PV/RT = 0.995*0.205/0.8206*298
n = 0.00834. You had to use some other (incorrect) version of n = PV/RT.
Then n = grams/molar mass or
molar mass = grams/n
molar mass = 0.528.0.00834 = ?
If you use P = (756-23.8)/760 I think you will get 65.4 which is Zn.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A 0.528 gram sample of a metal, M, reacts completely with sulfuric ...
- Chemistry - A 0.464 gram sample of a metal, M, reacts completely with sulfuric ...
- chemistry - A 1.70 g sample of a certain metal reacts with acid to liberate 380 ...
- AP Chemistry - A mixture of aluminum and zinc metal is used in 2 experiments ...
- Chemistry - A sample of zinc metal reacts completly with an excess of ...
- chemistry - peice of sodium metal reacts with water. 246ml volume of hydrogen ...
- Chemistry - H20SO4(aq)-> 2H+(aq) + SO4 2- (a) Calculate the hydrogen ion ...
- AP Chem - a 4.22 gram sample of copper II sulfide was added to excess ...
- Chemistry - A 19.9mL volume of a hydrochloric acid solution reacts completely ...
- chemistry - Sulfuric acid is a strong acid and dissociates in water as shown in ...