Posted by Shreya on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 at 10:05pm.
n-number of growth periods
The teacher had this question as an example and did it however i do not understand one thing:
The Ebola virus double every 30 min. If there are currently 2000 ebola viruses present in petrie dish, how many are present in 7 hours from now?
A=2000(2)^7/0.5 = 32768000
^ What I don't get about that is where he got the 0.5 from? Isnt it supposed to be 30 min? so 30? cause that's the growth period :|
- Pre-Calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, October 16, 2012 at 10:14pm
Your exponents should have been defined in hours
so 30 minutes = 30/60 hours = 1/2 or 0.5 hours
it says, the virus doubles every 30 minutes
so how do you "double" something? Don't you multiply by 2 ?
so the fixed part of the equation is
A = 2000(2)^(t/.5)
your only input is t, namely the number of hours you are dealing with
suppose we look at 2 hours , so after
30 minutes we have 4000 , after
60 minutes we have 8000 , after
90 minutes we have 16000, after
120 minutes we have 32000
I think n is poorly defined.
I would have defined n as the doubling period expressed in hours.
- Pre-Calculus - Shreya, Tuesday, October 16, 2012 at 10:18pm
Oh so they always have to be in hours? growth periods are always in hours?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Exponential Growth and Decay - Can somebody please check my answers? 1. Identify...
- Pre-Calculus - A culture of bacteria obeys the law of unlimited growth. If 500 ...
- modeling exponential growth - hey. the directions say identify the initial ...
- Pre-calculus - Complete the table assuming continuously compounded interest. (...
- precal - You can find the size of a population after t years using the formula N...
- Algebra - f) Suppose you started with 100 bacteria, but they still grew by the ...
- Precalc - Are exponential equations the same as exponential functions? I am ...
- socials - wat r main factors of population change? jobs people get? i really not...
- Algebra - The number of bacteria in a certain population increases according to ...
- precalculus - A population doubles every 30 years. Assuming exponential growth ...