Posted by Enlia on Monday, October 15, 2012 at 9:02pm.
I have a question about the rational function I recently posted. Would the range still be (-∞,2)U(2,∞) if the rational function is what Reiny posted "(2x^2-18)/(x^2+3x-10)." The y-intercept confuses me because its (0,1.8) and when I look at the line it passes through the horizontal asymptote.
- Math Rational Functions-Please Clarify =) - Reiny, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 10:31pm
Here is a wonderful webpage that let's your graph just about any curve
enter your function with brackets in the form
set: "range x-axis from" -20 to 20
set: "range y-axis from" -20 to 20
you will see your y-intercept correct at (0,1.8)
and the two vertical asymptotes of x = -5 and x = 2
starting to show.
Horizontal asymtotes begin to show up only when x approaches ± infinity, so if you look to the far right, the curve approaches y = 2 from the bottom up, and if you look far to the left, the curve approaches y - 2 from the top down
It is very common for the curve to intersect the horizontal asymptote for reasonable small values of x.
If we set our function equal to 2,
(2x^2-18)/(x^2+3x-10) = 2 , and cross-multiply we get
2x^2 - 18x = 2x^2 + 6x - 20
x = 20/24 = 5/6 , which is shown on the graph
But as x --> ±∞ , the function will never again reach the value of 2
(try it on your calculator, set x = 500 and evaluate
then let x = -500 and evaluate,
in the first case you should get 1.988... a bit below 2
in the 2nd case you should get 2.012... a bit above 2
the larger you make your x, the closer you will get to 2, but you will never reach it, and that is your concept of an asympote )
- Math Rational Functions-Please Clarify =) - Enlia, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 10:56pm
Thank you very much!
- Math Rational Functions-Please Clarify =) - Reiny, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 10:58pm
you are welcome,
does it make sense now?
- Math Rational Functions-Please Clarify =) - Enlia, Tuesday, October 16, 2012 at 4:49pm
Yes it does ^^
Answer this Question
- Math - Verify these answers :] Would be thankies~ 1. Determine the intervals in ...
- Gr.11 - Rational functions graphing. - 1. Identify a rational function whose ...
- Math - Suppose f is a function with range (-∞,∞) and g is a function...
- Calculus - We're learning about different kinds of functions and I don't really ...
- Math - State the range of the function: f(x) = 5ex + 1 A) (0, ∞) B) (1...
- math - hello, i have some question about rational functions. 1) are there any ...
- Math - Can someone help me with these T.T 1.Which polynomial function would have...
- Math- Rational Functions - 1. Some rational functions have asymptotes, others ...
- Rational Functions - Write an equation for a rational function whose graph has ...
- Math - For the given functions, write the rational function, r(x) = [f(x-h)-f(x...