Posted by Amanda on Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:21am.
Phthalates used as plasticizers in rubber and plastic products are believed to act as hormone mimics in human. The value of deltaHcombustion for dimethylphthalate (C10H10O4) is 4685 kJ/mol. Assume 1.035 g of dimethylphthalate is combusted in a calorimeter whose heat capacity (C calorimeter) is 7.293 kJ/Celsius at 20.142 Celsius. What is the final temperature of the calorimeter?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:34am
4685 kJ/mol x (1.035g/molar mass) = ? and convert to J.
q joules = Ccal x (Tfinal-Tinitial)
Solve for Tf. I would put Ccal in J.
- Chemistry - Amanda, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:44am
How do you convert 4848.975 to J?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 1:01am
kJ x 1000 = J.
But where did you get 4868.97...?
4685 x (1.035/197...) isn't anywhere near that number. I think you did not divide by the molar mass of the phthalate.
- Chemistry - Amanda, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 1:06am
Ok, yeah I somehow read that as a label not as part of the equation, so
So then would the final equation be:
Thank you by the way Im just really struggling with this.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 1:21am
Yes except you need to convert that 7.293 kJ to J.
- Chemistry - Amanda, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 1:28am
Ok I got the answer!! Thank you!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Phthalates used as plasticizers in rubber and plastic products are ...
- chemistry - liquid heptane C7H16 is completely combusted to produce CO2 and H2O...
- Chemistry - In a bomb calorimeter, a 6.50 g sample of octane (C8H18) is ...
- Chemistry - Suppose that 1.048 g of benzene is combusted in a bomb calorimeter ...
- chemistry - Liquid methanol (CH 3 OH) is used as an alternative fuel in truck ...
- Chemistry - Thermodynamics - The heat capacity of a bomb calorimeter is 87.5 kJ/...
- chemistry - A 4.98 g sample of aniline (C6H5NH2, molar mass = 93.13 g/mol) was ...
- Chemistry - In order to calibrate a bomb calorimeter , 3000 g of water is added ...
- Chemistry - The heat of neutralization of HCl(aq) and NaOH(aq) is -55.90 kJ/mol ...
- chemistry - In the following experiment, a coffee-cup calorimeter containing 100...