Posted by Amanda on Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:21am.
Phthalates used as plasticizers in rubber and plastic products are believed to act as hormone mimics in human. The value of deltaHcombustion for dimethylphthalate (C10H10O4) is 4685 kJ/mol. Assume 1.035 g of dimethylphthalate is combusted in a calorimeter whose heat capacity (C calorimeter) is 7.293 kJ/Celsius at 20.142 Celsius. What is the final temperature of the calorimeter?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:34am
4685 kJ/mol x (1.035g/molar mass) = ? and convert to J.
q joules = Ccal x (Tfinal-Tinitial)
Solve for Tf. I would put Ccal in J.
- Chemistry - Amanda, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:44am
How do you convert 4848.975 to J?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 1:01am
kJ x 1000 = J.
But where did you get 4868.97...?
4685 x (1.035/197...) isn't anywhere near that number. I think you did not divide by the molar mass of the phthalate.
- Chemistry - Amanda, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 1:06am
Ok, yeah I somehow read that as a label not as part of the equation, so
So then would the final equation be:
Thank you by the way Im just really struggling with this.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 1:21am
Yes except you need to convert that 7.293 kJ to J.
- Chemistry - Amanda, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 1:28am
Ok I got the answer!! Thank you!!
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - Phthalates used as plasticizers in rubber and plastic products are ...
- chemistry - In 1934, Edward A. Doisy of Washington Univeristy extracted 1361 kg ...
- Geometry - If the top of the paint container is made of plastic, how much ...
- Geography/Auto Industry - Name at least three products that are used to ...
- AP Chemistry - Could you please review my work and see what i'm doing ...
- physiology - Is the hormone protein,steroid or glycoprotein? 1. Follicle-...
- chemistry - Free radicals are also important in many environmentally significant...
- physics - A foam plastic ( sg = 0.58 ) is to be used as a life preserver. What ...
- business - what is a recent canadian safety regulation act that got violated ie...
- geo:( - name at least three products that are used to manufacture automobiles ...