Posted by b6 on Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 9:27pm.
There are three pieces of rope with the lengths 15 1/3feet, 20 1/2 feet, and 30 3/4 feet.
A) how many yards in all?
B) If thery were all cut into 3 feet pieces how many would you get and how did you determine this answer
C) How much rope is left? How was that determined
- math - b6, Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 10:08pm
I di try and answer them on my own and got A) 22 7/36 yards of rope.
B) 22 pieces
C) 7/12 of the rope was left.
Please help, are these correct?
If not can you explain and help me understand the question. Thanks
- math - Reiny, Sunday, October 14, 2012 at 12:26am
from the 15 1/3 ft piece we can cut 5 pieces of 3 ft, leaving 1/3 ft
from the 20 1/2 ft piece we can cut 6 pieces of 3 ft, leaving 2 1/2 ft
from the 30 3/4 ft piece we can cut 10 pieces of 3 ft leaving 3/4 ft
so we can cut 5+6+10 or 21 pieces of 3 ft each
c) amount left over:
1/3 + 2 1/2 + 3/4
= 3 7/12 ft
- math - b6, Sunday, October 14, 2012 at 8:57am
for partB) since for each part that was left was more than 3 feet as you see in part C won't that be added as one more foot making the answer to B) 22 pieces
and part C) 7/12 left?
- math - Reiny, Sunday, October 14, 2012 at 10:10am
I read the question to mean that you want complete 3 ft sections, not pieces that have been tied together to make 3 ft.
from a piece of 20 1/4 ft, I can only get 6 sections of 3 ft, even though a big piece would be left over.
Let's agree it is a poorly worded question.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - a rope is cut into three pieces P,Q and R.the lengths of the pieces are ...
- math - A 120-foot long rope is cut into 3 pieces. the first rope is twice as ...
- math - a 50 foot length of rope was cut into two pieces. the first piece is 5 ...
- math - Moulding comes in four different lengths. Jesse needs to cut four pieces ...
- math - a rope is cut into two pieces. one has a length of 37 feet. if the other...
- geometry - A board that is 12 feet long must be cut into 2 pieces that have ...
- geometry - For that problem: A board that is 12 feet long must be cut into 2 ...
- math - how do I find out how many feet are in 36 yards? i know that 3 feet ...
- algebra - a 28 ft rope is cut into 2 pieces. one is 3 feet longer than the other...
- geometry - A board that is 19 feet long must be cut into two pieces that have ...