Posted by KnowsNothing on Friday, October 12, 2012 at 7:39pm.
When a polynomial is divided by (x+2), the remainder is -19. When the same polynomial is divided by (x-1), the remainder is 2. Determine the remainder when the polynomial is divided by (x-1)(x+2).
math - Count Iblis, Friday, October 12, 2012 at 8:08pm
If p(x) is the polynomial, then you have:
p(x) = (x+2)q1(x) - 19
for some poynomial q1(x). You see that the remainder of -19 is the value of
p(x) at x = -2. We also have:
p(x) = (x-1)q2(x) + 2
Therefore p(1) = 2.
Then if you divide p(x) by (x-1) (x+2), the remainder will be a first degree polynomial, so we have:
p(x) = (x-1)(x+2)q3(x) + r(x)
Then if you put x = 1 in here and use that p(1) = 2, you find:
r(1) = 2
Putting x = -2 and using that
p(-2) = -19 yields:
r(-2) = -19
These two values of r(x) fix r(x) as
r(x) is of first degree. We have:
r(x) = (-19)/(-3) (x-1) + 2/3 (x+2) =
7 x - 5
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - 1.) when the expression 4x^2-3x-8 is divided by x-a, the remainder is 2. ...
- Math adv function - An unknown polynomial f(x) of degree 37 yields a remainder ...
- Math - repost for Anonymous - Can someone show me the steps to these questions (...
- adv function - an unknown polynomial f(x) of degree 32 yields a remainder of 1 ...
- Algebra - If p(x) is a polynomial and is divided by (x-k) and a remainder is ...
- algebra - A polynomial f(x) of degree 3 leaves a remainder of 6 when divided by...
- Math - How many integers between 200 and 500 inclusive leave a remainder 1 when ...
- Math - How many integers bewteen 200 and 500 inclusive leave a remainder 1 when ...
- college algeb - when ax^2+bx+c is divided by x-1, the remainder is 10 if the ...
- Math - Remainder Theorem Question: For what value of b will the polynomial P(x...