Posted by chemdummy on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 11:24pm.
C4 H10 O or diethyl ether or with a formula of CH3CH2OCH2CH3 its stick structure is
H H H H
! ! ! ! ..
! ! ! ! ..
H H H H
I used the this ! sign as a sign for bond. pls help me to determine the geometry for each central atom in this structure.
1) C Trigonal
2) C Tetrahedral
3) O bent
4) C tetrahedral
5) C tetrahedral
pls correct my work did i do the lewis structure right are my answers to each central atom's molecular geometry right.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, October 5, 2012 at 11:47pm
Well, you note quickly that the spacing doesn't work on thhis forum.
First you did not draw a Lewis structure nor did you attempt to draw one. The Lewis structure, better known as the Le3wis dot structure has electrons instead of the bonds. I can't draw that on this forum but here is a link that may help.
The hybridization for all of the C atoms is sp3 which makes them tetrahedral. The hybridization of the O atom is sp3 so it is tetrahedral.
One way I remember is this.
Count the bonds on C.
4 bonds--sp3 -- tetrahedral
3 bons (as in -C=C-) sp2 = trigonal planar.
2 bonds (as in -CtripleC-) = sp = linear
This holds for N as well.
Answer this Question
- Chemistry(Please help) - The common laboratory solvent diethyl ether (ether) is ...
- Chemistry - The boiling point of diethyl ether CH3CH2OCH2CH3 is 34.500C at 1 ...
- chemistry - The boiling point of diethyl ether CH3CH2OCH2CH3 is 34.500C at 1 ...
- chemistry - The boiling point of diethyl ether, CH3CH2OCH2CH3, is 34.500 °C at 1...
- Chemistry - What is the concentration, in percent (v/v) of a solution containing...
- Chemistry - Diethyl ether is a volatile organic compound. the vapor pressure of ...
- chemistry - The formula weight of diethyl ether is 74.0 amu. What is the weight ...
- organic - what is the best synthesis of 2-heptanol CH3CH2CH2MgBr(2 moles)+...
- Chemistry - A flask contains 25.0 mL of diethyl ether weighth 18.74 µg (...
- organic chemistry - suppose solute A has a partition coefficient of 4.0 between ...