Posted by Tasnim on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 2:18pm.
If 50.00mL of 1.10M NaOH is added to 25.00mL of 1.86M HCl, with both solutions originally at 24.70 degrees Celsius, what will be the final solution temperature? (Assume that no heat is lost to the surrounding air and that the solution produced in the neutralization reaction has a density of 1.02g/mL and a specific heat of 3.98J/g*degrees Celcius.)
Express answer in four significant figures.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, October 5, 2012 at 3:03pm
You have a great deal of information but you're still missing the heat of reaction (heat of neutralization).
Chemistry - Tasnim, Friday, October 5, 2012 at 3:24pm
oops, here it is:
-55.84 kJ/mol H20 produced
Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, October 5, 2012 at 4:13pm
50.00 x 1.10 = 55.00 millimols NaOH
25.00 x 1.86 = 46.5 mmols HCl
.......NaOH + HCl ==> NaCl + H2O
That 46.5 millimols = 0.0465 mols H2O.
55.84 kJ/mol x 0.0465 mols = 2.597 kJ heat = q.
q = mass H2O x specific heat H2O x (Tfinal-Tinitial)
I would change q to J from kJ, use density to find mass of the 75.00 mL H2O, substitute Ti and sp.h. and solve for Tf. (I am ignoring the specific heat of the unreacted NaOH(solid) as well as that of the NaCl(solid) formed.)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - If 50.00mL of 1.10M NaOH is added to 25.00mL of 1.86M HCl, with both...
- chemistry - If 15.0 mL of a 1.5M HCl solution at 22.5 degrees C is mixed with 25...
- chemistry - Consider the reaction HCl + NaOH ->NaCl + H2O Given: HCl Solution...
- chemistry - In Chemistry: what is ph during the titration of 20.00ml of 0.1000m ...
- Chemistry - When 35.0 mL of 1.43 M NaOH at 22.0 degres Celsius is neutralized by...
- Chemistry - 10.0 mL of a 0.300M NH3 solution is titrated with a 0.100M HCl ...
- chemistry - Assume that no heat is lost to the surroundings and calculate the ...
- chemistry - Can anyone help me with these Chemistry questions? I am trying to ...
- Chemìstry - The following two solutions were combined and mixed well: 150.00 mL ...
- Chemistry - The following two solutions were combined and mixed well: 150.00 mL ...