Posted by Neil on Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 3:31pm.
Solve by using the subatitution method. (Please keep fractions as they are, don't convert to decimal.)
1. y= -3x - 1
2x - 3y= -8
2. 1 + 3y= 10
5x + 2y= 6
3. 2x - 6y= -2
x= 3y - 1
4. y= 1/7x + 3
x - 7y= -4
Math - Reiny, Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 3:43pm
I will do #3, you try the others
2x - 6y = -2
x = 3y-1
sub into the 1st:
2(3y-1) - 6y = -2
6y - 2 - 6y = -2
0 = 0
Ahhh, since the variables dropped out and we ended up with a TRUE statement, the two equations are really one and the same equation.
(if you simplify the first, you get the second ...
2x - 6y = -2
divide by 2
x - 3y = -1
x = 3y - 1, which was the second equation )
So any ordered pair which satisfies the 1st will obviously also satisfy the second.
Had we ended up with a false statement, such as 3 = 0, there would have been no solution at all
Math - Neil, Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 4:05pm
Hm... so, 0=0 is the only answer for #3? You don't have to do anything else? Like plugging in for the second equation or something.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Solve by using the substitution method. (Please keep fractions as they ...
- math help - emaily says that she can convert 18/25 to a decimal by using ...
- MATH - a) Multiply and simplify using fractions 3 5 - * - 5 7 b)Convert your ...
- Math - How to add matrices that involve improper fractions? I have this ...
- Math - Well in school we were reviewing percents, and one of the main things ...
- Linear Equations - Can you please help solve this equation using the ...
- Algebra - define the following new variables X to A =W X to B =X Y to A =Y Y to ...
- algebra - i have 2 solve by elimination an i keep gettin fractions when the ...
- math - Can someone please check my work? Solve using substitution method 1. 3x+...
- Math - Convert the following fractions to decimals. Round to 2 decimal places if...