Posted by TUHITUHI on Monday, October 1, 2012 at 10:46am.
A mother is 4 times as old as her son and 5 times as old as her daughter .When the son is three times as old as he is now, the mother's age will be 3 year's more than twice the daughter's age then what are there current ages??
- math - Steve, Monday, October 1, 2012 at 11:05am
here's another answer. These story problems are all basically the same: translate words to symbols and solve the equation(s).
m = 4s
m = 5d
now, we need to figure out how many years from now the son will be 3 times his present age:
3s - s = 2s = m/2
so, adding that many years to mother and daughter, we have
m + m/2 = 2(d+m/2)+3
so, we now have two equations
m = 5d
3/2 m = 2d + m + 3
3/2 (5d) = 2d + 5d + 3
15/2 d = 2d + 5d + 3
d/2 = 3
d = 6
in 15 years we will have
s = 22.5
d = 21
m = 45 = 2*21 + 3
Now try some of your other problems, and show us where you get stuck, if you do.
- math - Reiny, Monday, October 1, 2012 at 11:15am
present: let .......
mother ---20 x
son ------ 5x
What is 3 times son's age ---> 15x
When is son 3 times as old as he is now?
in 15x - 5x years or in 10x years
at that time
son ----- 15x
mother --- 20x + 10x = 30x
daughter -- 4x + 10x = 14x
mother's age = 2 times daughter's age plus 3
30x = 2(14x) + 3
2x = 3
x = 1.5
mother -- 30
son ----- 7.5
daughter -- 6
3 times son's present age is 22.5, this will happen in 15 years
at that time ...
mother is 45
son is 15
daughter is 21
is 45 = 2(21) + 3 ??? , YES!!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- MATH - 1. A father is three times as old as his son. Five years ago the sum of ...
- Math - A mother is 4 times as old as her daughter. In 4 years, the mother will ...
- Algebra (Age Problem) - A man is 6 times as old as his son. In 4 years he will ...
- math - A father is now three times as old as his son, twelve years ago he was ...
- math - A. John is now 10 years older than Marcus. Three times John's age 5 years...
- math - A. A woman was 30 years old when her daughter was born.Her age is now 6 ...
- Kathie - In four years' time, a father will be three times as old as his son. ...
- Math - A man is currently 4 times as old as his son. In 4 yrs from now hell be...
- algebra - A dad is now three times as old as his son, but in eleven years the ...
- 6th grade math - a man is now three times as old as his son and was 30 when his ...