Posted by mary on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 10:46pm.
making linear equation from word problem
An airspeed indicator on aircraft is affected by changes in atmospheric pressure at different altitudes. A pilot can estimate the true airspeed by observing the indicated airspeed and adding it about 2% for every 1,000 feet of altitude.
(a) If pilot maintains a constant reading of 200 miles per hour on the airspeed indicator as the aircraft climbs from sea level to an altitude of 10, 000 feat, write linear equation that expresses true airspeed T (miles per hour) in terms of altitude A (thousands of feet)
(b) what would be the true airspeed of the aircraft at 6,500 feet?
algebra - keith, Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 12:29am
T in terms of A is alike to Y in terms of X for linear graphs, so set it up the same way.
T = (something)A + constant
The constant reading is 200 miles per hour so that is your constant.
T = (something)A + 200
The true airspeed is increasing by 2% or .02 of the indicated reading (constant) for every 1000ft (A). This means you must multiply the percent (.02) by the constant to get the increase per 1000ft (A). [multiply 'A' by this constant for every 1000ft]
T = 200*(.02)*A + 200
Reduced: T = 4*A + 200(mph)
(2)to find the true airspeed at 6500ft simply divide it by 1000 then plug it into the equation.
T = 4*(6.5) + 200
T = 226(mph)
algebra - mary, Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 9:08pm
Thank you so much
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- pre-cal - a pilot wants to fly on a bearing of 66.4 degrees. by flying due east...
- Physics - A small aircraft A is about to land with an airspeed of 80 mi/hr. If ...
- Physics - What is the airspeed relative to the ground of an airplane with an ...
- physics - You are a pilot on an aircraft carrier. You must fly to another ...
- Physics - A plane flies horizontally at constant ground speed v=720km/h. The ...
- math - an aircraft with an airspeed of 295km/hr is heading south. wind blowing ...
- pre calculus - 1. a plane has heading of 54 degrees & airspeed of 225mph. The ...
- physics - A 75 kg pilot flies a plane in a vertical loop. At the top of the loop...
- trig - An airplane pilot wishes to maintain a true course in the direction 250° ...
- mastering physics - An airplane pilot wishes to fly due west. A wind of 90.0 km/...