Posted by E. Lee on Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 8:53pm.
What is a minimum volume (in gallons) of ethylene glycol (CH2OHCH2OH, an antifreeze) that has to be added to 3.00 gal of water if you desire this engine cooling solution (for a auto radiator) NOT to be frozen below - 34.1 oC - a very cold Siberian or Canadian winter temperature?
What is molar mass of ethylene glycol?
The required molality of ethylene glycol:
The required volume of ethylene glycol in gallons:
Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 9:21pm
Convert 3.00 gallons H2O to grams.
delta T = Kf*m
34.1 = 1.86*m
Sole for m.
m = mols glycol/kg solvent
You have m and kg solvent (from the 3.00 gallons H2O), solve for mols ethylene glycol.
mols glycol = grams glycol/molar mass glycol. You know mols and molar mass, solve for grams ethylene glycol and convert that to gallons. You will need the density of ethylene glycol which isn't given in the problem. Post your work if you get stuck.
Chemistry - Erin, Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 10:13pm
density of water and the antifreezer is 0.9975 g/mL and 1.141 g/mL
I got molality of 54.5 and molar mass 18.33g.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 10:55pm
The molar mass of ethylene glycol is 62.068 (just add atomic masses for CH2OHCH2OH).
molality = 18.33; I think you just made a typo for that in your post.
34.1 = Kf*m
34.1/1.86 = 18.333m
I don't know what the 54.5 represents.
I converted 3 gallons to grams and obtained 11,327.97 using 0.9975 g/cc for density and 453.6 g/lb.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - I've got a similar question as a previous student. What is a minimum...
- Math - The radiator in a car is filled with a solution of 60% antifreeze and 40...
- Math algebra - The radiator in a car is filled with a solution of 60% antifreeze...
- Chemistry - A 50/50 blend of engine coolant and water (by volume) is usually ...
- Chemistry - The cooling system in an automobile holds 10.0 L of ethylene glycol ...
- Chemistry - What volume of ethylene glycol (C2H6O2), a nonelectrolyte, must be ...
- Chemistry. - What volume of ethylene glycol (C2H6O2), a nonelectrolyte, must be ...
- Chemistry university level - what mass of ethylene glycol, the main component, ...
- Chemistry - What mass of ethylene glycol C2H6O2, the main component of ...
- algebra help please - Mixture Problem... An auto tech needs a radiator to have a...