Posted by v on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 9:36pm.
A motor car moving at a speed of 72 km/h can not come to a stop in less than 3 s while for a truck this time interval is 5.0s . On a highway the car is behind the truck both moving at 72 km/h . The truck gives a signal that it is going to stop at emergency. At what distance the car should be from the truck so that it does not bump onto the truck . Human response time is 0.5s
- physics - ameya, Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 8:09am
deceleration rate of the truck is
at = 20 m/s / 5s = 4 m/s²
deceleration rate of the car is
at = 20 m/s / 3s = 6⅔ m/s²
As the car can stop much quicker than the truck, then to avoid collision the car and truck velocities will be identical and non zero while the distance between them is near zero with a braking time (t) for the truck and (t - 0.5) for the car
velocity of the truck
vt = 20 - 4t
velocity of the car
vc = 20 - 6⅔(t - 0.5)
vc = 20 - 6⅔t + 3⅓
vc = 23⅓ - 6⅔t
to find the time when both of these are true, set them equal
23⅓ - 6⅔t = 20 - 4t
3⅓ = 2⅔t
t = 1.25 s
In 1.25 seconds the car will have traveled a distance before braking occurs and a distance after braking starts
dc = v₀t₀ + v₀t₁ + ½at₁²
dc = 20(0.5) + 20(0.75) - ½(6⅔)(0.75)²
dc = 23.125 m
in 1.25 seconds, the truck will have traveled
dt = 20(1.25) - ½(4)(1.25)²
dt = 21.875 m
so the minimum follow distance is
23.125 - 21.875 = 1.25 m <=== ANSWER
At 1.25 seconds, both vehicles will be traveling 15 m/s
20 - 4(1.25) = 15
20 - 6⅔(1.25 - 0.5) = 15
For times greater than 1.25 seconds, the car is traveling slower than the truck and the gap between the car and truck increases.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - Assume the truck is going at v0 = 25 m/s, and you're 20 m behind the ...
- physics - while cruising along dark stretch of highway at a speed of 25 m/s you ...
- Physics - a car and a truck start from rest at the same instant with the car ...
- MATH - A truck enters a highway driving 60mph. A car enter the highway at the ...
- Physics - On its way to Peace River, Alberta, a car enters a passing zone on the...
- Engineering Physics - A car and a train move together along straight, parallel ...
- physics - A car moving at a speed of approximately 176.5 km/h. 923 m in front ...
- Physics - To save fuel, some truck drivers try to maintain a constant speed when...
- Physics - You are driving down the highway late one night at 20 m/s when a deer ...
- Physics - A truck travels at a constant speed of 28.0 m/s in the fast lane of a ...